Questions about Noctua NH-L12

Okjoek
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

Yes, you can have fans either way. No, I don't know which one would be more efficient, but you can test that out quite easy. You could add fan underneath. You'd need another set of clips. But the reason why its 92mm fan is RAM slots. 120mm would block them. From pics it seems to block nearest RAM slot in any orientation. So you'd need to use only 1 stick on mITX.

The CPU is most likely i7 3970X for the testbench (you can see mobo being Gigabyte and socket 2011 when Luke is installing cooler).

This cooler looks really attractive for mITX projects because it looks like I could configure the fans to blow up and away from the motherboard whereas most low profile coolers blow warm air down onto the motherboard. If it doesn't come like this already, can I configure this cooler to blow upwards? And if so is it possible to possition the 120mm fan on the underside or will only the 92mm fan fit there?

http://noctua.at/en/nh-l12.html

... And another question I have is about Linus' review of said cooler. I can't seem to figure out what CPUs he's using in his tests...

... I mean he says they are testing on a testbench and in some MSI PC, but that doesn't help me because I would like to use tests like his to determine if this cooler is adequate for certain projects.

Yes, you can have fans either way. No, I don't know which one would be more efficient, but you can test that out quite easy. You could add fan underneath. You'd need another set of clips. But the reason why its 92mm fan is RAM slots. 120mm would block them. From pics it seems to block nearest RAM slot in any orientation. So you'd need to use only 1 stick on mITX.

The CPU is most likely i7 3970X for the testbench (you can see mobo being Gigabyte and socket 2011 when Luke is installing cooler).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv