Remote desktop[For Android]

Squish4058

I have an app on my phone, to control some devices and other things on my house, I can get this working on any android phone.
The issue is it must be on the same wifi network.

What I plan to do is buy a cheap android phone on ebay, install said app, and remote into the phone (from anywhere eg uni) and use it to control said devices

Im thinking the best way is programs that can remote desktop, but into android.

I use TeamViewer a lot but it only supports controlling with android, not controlling phones themselves (note I need this to work outside of a single wifi network)

Does anyone have any recommendations for software I can use to leave a smartphone at home (connected to wifi and charging) and remote control it from anywhere (I dont mind memorising my WAN IP)

You could give TeamViewer Host a try, which does let you control your phone.

As an alternative, you could set up a VPN on your router, so you could connect to your home network from anywhere. If you are unfamiliar, it basically lets you connect to your home network as a local device - only remotely. Your router may support this, if not you'll need to setup a VPN server on a PC, or a something like a Raspberry Pi if you don't want your PC running 24/7.

Also, rather than having to remember your (possibly dynamic) IP address, you could use a free dynamic DNS service like Duck DNS

47 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Why not install an Android emulator on your computer like Bluestacks or Remix OS? Then you can just remote into your computer.

Well one of the purposes of buying a phone is its low power and I dont want me pc on all the time aha.

21 minutes ago, Cylon Muffins said:

As an alternative, you could set up a VPN on your router, so you could connect to your home network from anywhere. If you are unfamiliar, it basically lets you connect to your home network as a local device - only remotely. Your router may support this, if not you'll need to setup a VPN server on a PC, or a something like a Raspberry Pi if you don't want your PC running 24/7.

Also, rather than having to remember your (possibly dynamic) IP address, you could use a free dynamic DNS service like Duck DNS

I will look into teamviewer host
I want to try and avoid router config, as im a uni student and change housing frequently(yearly)

Might try the VPN server on the PC but I have a feeling that will require router config.
I essentially want to avoid any router config at all as I know for certain my router and housing will change every year for the next 5 years minimum .

Might try the raspberry pi vpn server as I have a few laying around, not that I know any Pi code, only .net

1 hour ago, kris2340k said:

I have an app on my phone, to control some devices and other things on my house, I can get this working on any android phone.
The issue is it must be on the same wifi network.

What I plan to do is buy a cheap android phone on ebay, install said app, and remote into the phone (from anywhere eg uni) and use it to control said devices

Im thinking the best way is programs that can remote desktop, but into android.

I use TeamViewer a lot but it only supports controlling with android, not controlling phones themselves (note I need this to work outside of a single wifi network)

Does anyone have any recommendations for software I can use to leave a smartphone at home (connected to wifi and charging) and remote control it from anywhere (I dont mind memorising my WAN IP)

Teamviewer has a client that allows you to control samsung phones. That can be an option if you get one cheap enough.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

8 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

Teamviewer has a client that allows you to control samsung phones. That can be an option if you get one cheap enough.

49 minutes ago, Cylon Muffins said:

Sweet baby jesus I just got teamviewer host to work using post 376 here

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1836780&page=38

This is beautiful. especially since my phone (rooted oneplus one) goes cheap on ebay for cracked screens.

now to decide if I take the risk and go super cheap and old android and risk the app not working, or get a phone identical to mine.