Should I have waited for Ryzen?

I just built my new gaming rig, and I got the I7-7700k. I am wondering if this was a mistake. Should I have waited to see what AMD Ryzen had to offer? 

My I7-7700k I got for £300, and the biggest problem with it is the heat it gives off. There is nothing I can do now, but I just want to know if I made a mistake upgrading from my old I7-3770k to the new I7-7700k.

There is no way to know until they're released. Personally, I think you didn't make a mistake. For that price you could (maybe) get the SR5, which I don't expect to be at you CPU's level.

Computer Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 || Cooler: CM Hyper212 Evo || MoBo: MSI B350 Mortar || RAM Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz || PSU: Corsair CX600 || SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB & 240GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB + 1TB 2.5'' backup drive || GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB

Laptop 1 HP x360 13-u113nl

Laptop Lenovo z50-75 with AMD FX-7500 || OS: Windows 10 / Ubuntu 17.04

DSLR Nikon D5300 w/ 18-105mm lens

If you like waiting, I suppose there will always be something better.

You've got a solid setup. I'd be happy. You're guaranteed better performance, and who knows how Ryzen's pricing is going to go down. Probably blasted out the roof for the first half anyways.

AMD is not going to come out with anything groundbreaking. They will not obliterate Intel in performance, ever. If they do I will eat one of my dirty shoes.

What they can and will probably do is match Intel in gaming performance, but you will be paying up for that. Don't count on Ryzen being super good, if at all. I guarantee you from how it's looking there are going to be a ton of issues.

2 hours ago, Cryosec said:

There is no way to know until they're released. Personally, I think you didn't make a mistake. For that price you could (maybe) get the SR5, which I don't expect to be at you CPU's level.

2 hours ago, Kloaked said:

AMD is not going to come out with anything groundbreaking. They will not obliterate Intel in performance, ever. If they do I will eat one of my dirty shoes.

What they can and will probably do is match Intel in gaming performance, but you will be paying up for that. Don't count on Ryzen being super good, if at all. I guarantee you from how it's looking there are going to be a ton of issues.

2 hours ago, SageOfSpice said:

If you like waiting, I suppose there will always be something better.

You've got a solid setup. I'd be happy. You're guaranteed better performance, and who knows how Ryzen's pricing is going to go down. Probably blasted out the roof for the first half anyways.

Thanks to all, this is good to hear, I was getting kinda worried I had spent too much on something I could have got for less.

3 hours ago, Kloaked said:

you know the futur ? lolll

Acutally their ryzen was benchmarked and resulted in :

gaming : just under a skylake 6400

workstation : just under a 6950x

So will probably be  a great cpu but probably not gonna be better than intel tho..

But the price could be interesting

6 minutes ago, smokefest said:

you know the futur ? lolll

I am making an educated guess based on previous AMD claims.

You can buy a 7700K now, Ryzen is still not available.  The end.

If you're the type to buy i7 you're probably not going to be interested in anything AMD has to offer anyways.  They're competing on value not performance.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

I'm going through the same thing. My pc  should be built around end of February. I want the ryzen but I don't feel like waiting till probably end of march for it.