Multiple questions

hyperj123

After doing some research I read that 1ms response time doesn't necessarily lower input lag. Is this true?

Are there any monitors that have little input lag and low response time (assuming there is a difference) under $200 USD?

I recently bought an AOC i2367Fh. I want a second monitor and currently run a GTX 960 2GB SSC.

I love having vsync on because screen tearing annoys the hell out of me so naturally I play with vsync on and I'm locked at 60 FPS.

Does vsync increase input lag?

Is it worth for me to get a monitor that is 120hz or 144hz?

Thank you for your time. I have been searching for answers and I can't seem to find a definitive one to all of these questions.

Best way to eliminate screen tearing and input lag is G-sync or FreeSync

V-sync DOES add display lag.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

Best way to eliminate screen tearing and input lag is G-sync or FreeSync

V-sync DOES add display lag.

G-Sync monitors are so damn expensive though.

2 minutes ago, hyperj123 said:

Does vsync increase input lag?

Is it worth for me to get a monitor that is 120hz or 144hz?

Thank you for your time. I have been searching for answers and I can't seem to find a definitive one to all of these questions.

Depends on the game. Some games (ie CSGO) have bad input lag with vSync on and if you are getting a higher framerate you will have lower frametimes and less input lag by turning vSync off.

If you play competitive games, get a 144hz monitor. If you achieve 144fps+ in a game, get a 144hz monitor.

idk

1 minute ago, hyperj123 said:

G-Sync monitors are so damn expensive though.

Yep. Nvidia making consumers pay the price for their proprietary bullshit :(

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

Depends on the game. Some games (ie CSGO) have bad input lag with vSync on and if you are getting a higher framerate you will have lower frametimes and less input lag by turning vSync off.

If you play competitive games, get a 144hz monitor. If you achieve 144fps+ in a game, get a 144hz monitor.

Does screen tearing occur when going to 120hz-144hz?

Does screen tearing occur when going to 120hz-144hz?

Yes. without V/G/Free Sync, screen tearing will occur

Desktop:

Laptop:

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Yep. Nvidia making consumers pay the price for their proprietary bullshit :(

I've always used Nvidia cards and even I hate G-Sync for that proprietary shite. Like you don't need a seperate board, just allow OEMs to put it on their current hardware and make it cheap like AMD did. 

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

I've always used Nvidia cards and even I hate G-Sync for that proprietary shite. Like you don't need a seperate board, just allow OEMs to put it on their current hardware and make it cheap like AMD did. 

Same.

I have a 1070 (because AMD has no competition to that right now) and due to Nvidia's bullshit with proprietary systems, I view AMD cards as clean/polished, while although my 1070 is obviously more powerful than a RX480, it seems clunkier to me, because I loose out on so many awesome features with Nvidia.

Desktop:

Laptop:

I don't want to start a war "Red vs Green" but does Gsync and FreeSync keep the response time and input lag low while eliminating screen tearing?

Yes. without V/G/Free Sync, screen tearing will occur

I don't want to start a war "Red vs Green" but does Gsync and FreeSync keep the response time and input lag low while eliminating screen tearing?

G and Free Sync both do the same thing. they use variable refresh rate to minimize the effect of FPS dips, eliminate screen tearing, and they don't add input lag.

functionally, G-sync and Freesync are basically the same thing, except the G-sync costs more.

Desktop:

Laptop:

Yeah, they rapidly switch refresh rates to match your current framerate. Meaning - no tearing, little input lag.

idk

G and Free Sync both do the same thing. they use variable refresh rate to minimize the effect of FPS dips, eliminate screen tearing, and they don't add input lag.

functionally, G-sync and Freesync are basically the same thing, except the G-sync costs more.

So basically G/Free Sync are the best of both worlds. Smooth non-tearing display without additional input latency or response time.

So basically G/Free Sync are the best of both worlds. Smooth non-tearing display without additional input latency or response time.

yep.

but apparently, Nvidia's version of a "best of both worlds" is pretty damn expensive

Desktop:

Laptop:

3 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Same.

I have a 1070 (because AMD has no competition to that right now) and due to Nvidia's bullshit with proprietary systems, I view AMD cards as clean/polished, while although my 1070 is obviously more powerful than a RX480, it seems clunkier to me, because I loose out on so many awesome features with Nvidia.

I almost bought an XFX XXX Black Edition (1.32Ghz out of the box!) 480 8G but instead opted for an EVGA 1070 SC because it's quicker and a drop in replacement for my 770 2G. Now regretting it - I want FreeSync goddamnit. Still an insanely good card.

idk

Damn that sucks. I might just buy an amd card for free sync. maybe an RX 480

4 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

I almost bought an XFX XXX Black Edition (1.32Ghz out of the box!) 480 8G but instead opted for an EVGA 1070 SC because it's quicker and a drop in replacement for my 770 2G. Now regretting it - I want FreeSync goddamnit. Still an insanely good card.

Now I want to stay on topic but I think it was a LTT video where he tried to answer the question of "Best of Both Worlds" having an AMD and Nvidia card in the same rig. Can anyone recommend me a gsync monitor? 

5 minutes ago, hyperj123 said:

Damn that sucks. I might just buy an amd card for free sync. maybe an RX 480

it feels like people have been saying "wait for vega" for a century now, but it's so close you may really want to.

Desktop:

Laptop:

2 minutes ago, hyperj123 said:

Now I want to stay on topic but I think it was a LTT video where he tried to answer the question of "Best of Both Worlds" having an AMD and Nvidia card in the same rig. Can anyone recommend me a gsync monitor? 

Region/Currency?

idk

And I'm a fanboy of AOC. That's not bad but for the same price I can get a RX 480 4GB and an Acer Freesync Monitor for just $50 more.

http://amzn.to/2ki0y6p

http://amzn.to/2kiakWe

Fair point, and that's a good idea. 480 4G is faster than 3GB 1060 in DX12 and on par in DX11

idk

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Fair point, and that's a good idea. 480 4G is faster than 3GB 1060 in DX12 and on par in DX11

Thank you for your input. Last question I promise lol. Can I get the best of both worlds by dropping a 480 along side my 960? Obviously not SLI or X fire lol. Nvidia tuned games and AMD tuned games?

3 hours ago, hyperj123 said:

Thank you for your input. Last question I promise lol. Can I get the best of both worlds by dropping a 480 along side my 960? Obviously not SLI or X fire lol. Nvidia tuned games and AMD tuned games?

Yes, you can have both graphics cards in your system at the same time, and switch between them (by unplugging your monitors and plugging them into the other graphics card), but you cannot use the advantages of both at the same time, it's either one or the other.