Student laptop recommendation ($1100 CA)

If you were a student with ~$1100 Canadian to spend, what laptop would you get? 

A couple factors:

• SSD is preferable, but I do have a couple 850 EVO's in another system I could steal to replace a 2.5" drive.
  • Portability is key, so no larger than 15.x", preferably 13 

Other than that I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance :)

~ Luc Luc

What is the purpose of the laptop? Any gaming? Working? Video editing on the go?

7 minutes ago, Tornation said:

snip

As said above. However the Lenovo gaming laptops. (Y series if they're still called Y series) are pretty good budget laptops. Not all that great at gaming, but have pretty long battery lives generally speaking. Some bloatware, and some decent battery software to keep it healthy.

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

What is the purpose of the laptop? Gaming? Working? Video editing on the go?

Mainly internet, and MS office applications, but I also do some programming in an IDE and light video editing. A dedicated gpu isn't required though as I won't be gaming.

~ Luc Luc

2 minutes ago, Tornation said:

Mainly internet, and MS office applications, but I also do some programming in an IDE and light video editing. A dedicated gpu isn't required though as I won't be gaming.

https://www.amazon.ca/5000-Touchscreen-Bluetooth-RealSense-10-MaxxAudio/dp/B01M161UFE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485747244&sr=8-1&keywords=2016+Newest+Dell+Inspiron+15+5000+15.6"+FHD+Touchscreen+Laptop%2C+Intel+Core+i5-6200U%2C+8+GB+RAM%2C+1+TB+HDD%2C+DVD%2C+Backlit+keyboard%2C+HDMI%2C+Bluetooth%2C+802.11ac%2C+RealSense+3D+Webcam%2C+Windows+10-MaxxAudio+Pro if you swich the drive it should be good 

6 minutes ago, Tornation said:

Good choice. :) 

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300
»« Intel Core i5-8300H »« 16GB DDR4 RAM »« NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB »« Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2 SSD »« 
Toshiba PC L200 1 TB HDD »« Microsoft Windows 10 Home »«

$1100 should get you into a Business Class Dell Latitude or similar,   E7470.  From the Dell Outlet.  Make sure you get the 1080p screen.  Pick up a proprietary dock and a 2nd PSU from eBay for not much money.  Skip the consumer-level Inspirons or XPS's. 

a used macbook pro? if you like final cut. It really sucks to be canadian right now due to how much the canadian dollar is worth compared to its neighbour.