variable shortcut to .exe in folder

Hi everyone,

we use owncloud in our company and I installed Keypass and shared the .exe file with everyone so all our workes use the same .exe. The problem is that in the same folder where the .exe file is located you will find the configuration files that manage accessibility and user rights for the password database. I don't want that certain users have access to this files so they cannot play around or copy our database.

So what I wanted to do is the following:

Create folder1 where the programme + configuration files + password database is stored and restrict viewing rights for certain users. Create a new folder (folder2) around folder1 where a shortcut to the exe is stored and have every user access this folder.

Since some users have different PCs the owncloud folder will not be in the same directory on every PC which is a problem because then the shortcut won't work anymore.

Is there a way to create a shortcut that is relative and ignores the everything that comes before /folder2 an just have it linked to folder1 (which is located in folder2)?

It should look something like this:

• .../users/..../owncloud/folder2
    • shortcut for keypass.exe (ignores everything before /folder2)
    • folder1 (visibility restricted for some of my coworkers)
      • keypass.exe
      • config-files
      • database

Thank you in advance!

How are you sharing the folder structure to users? Have you looked into access-based enumeration? (you can tie how far they can see into a folder structure per AD user).

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

4 minutes ago, Altecice said:

How are you sharing the folder structure to users? Have you looked into access-based enumeration? (you can tie how far they can see into a folder structure per AD user).

I haven't because we don't use a server I have to manually disable reading permissions for every user (we are only 3, so no problem there).

But I have a different problem now. Just because you cannot read it, doesn't mean you cannot copy it. I had no problem to search it and then just right-click-copy it to my desktop > all the restrictions are gone then.

20 minutes ago, foxp3 said:

I haven't because we don't use a server I have to manually disable reading permissions for every user (we are only 3, so no problem there).

But I have a different problem now. Just because you cannot read it, doesn't mean you cannot copy it. I had no problem to search it and then just right-click-copy it to my desktop > all the restrictions are gone then.

This is because NTFS permissions dont follow the file they only apply per volume. Read only permissions still allow users to copy the files, the only way you will solve this issue is with some proper rights management solution (such as ABE as mentioned in my previous post)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

5 minutes ago, Altecice said:

This is because NTFS permissions dont follow the file they only apply per volume. Read only permissions still allow users to copy the files, the only way you will solve this issue is with some proper rights management solution (such as ABE as mentioned in my previous post)

Which means that I have to get a Windows Server right? Because we are only having local Win7 machines and access owncloud on a hosted server.

I was trying to exclude the password-database-files (.kbdx) from indexing. Do you think this would work?