Shady gpu

D148xZ

I bought a Sapphire r7 265 for €27,50 a few months ago, the seller said it was working fine with no problems and for the price I thought, why the heck not? So a few days later it arrived and it looked totally fine, I put it in my computer and then I found out that the temps were at 80c at idle, then I saw the fans weren't spinning so I took the card out, took off the fans, took off the shroud and reapplied thermal paste. I reinserted it into my pc and put 2 120mm fans next to it, now the temps are okay, max 70c with furmark. I didn't return it because I didn't want to go through the hassle of sending it back and it was working so... 

But now I kind of want a more permanent and more elegant solution so do any of you have any suggestions of what I can do to make the original shroud working?

I have already verified that the fans were working when I tried them on another card.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Maybe try to passive cool it or check the cables for any tears or damages

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

1 minute ago, hconverse02 said:

Maybe try to passive cool it or check the cables for any tears or damages

I know there's no problem with the cables, it the fan header or something on the card. I just need a different way of making the fans spin.

There are aftermarket heatsyncs that you can buy individually for cheap and stick onto the card. I'm not familiar with this card in particular, but a quick Google search should tell you if there are any.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

2 minutes ago, D148xZ said:

I know there's no problem with the cables, it the fan header or something on the card. I just need a different way of making the fans spin.

Is that a 4-pin PWM header? Just plug it into the fan headers on your motherboard or the fan controller in your case if you have one. A splitter works, but using a splitter on a single header with 3 fans connected into it probably isn't the best idea.

4 minutes ago, D148xZ said:

Run em off a PWM header on your motherboard, use some adapter

sorry.. but.. what the FUCK did you do to your cabling? i havent even seen prebuilts that bad.

and as for a more nicer looker fix, bodge the fans of the shroud to something in the range of 5-12 volts (or a header on the mobo) and deal with it that way.

i'd suggest one of those fan controllers with built in temp sensor control, but they are more expensive than what you paid for your card :P

20 minutes ago, D148xZ said:

I bought a Sapphire r7 265 for €27,50 a few months ago, the seller said it was working fine with no problems and for the price I thought, why the heck not? So a few days later it arrived and it looked totally fine, I put it in my computer and then I found out that the temps were at 80c at idle, then I saw the fans weren't spinning so I took the card out, took off the fans, took off the shroud and reapplied thermal paste. I reinserted it into my pc and put 2 120mm fans next to it, now the temps are okay, max 70c with furmark. I didn't return it because I didn't want to go through the hassle of sending it back and it was working so... 

But now I kind of want a more permanent and more elegant solution so do any of you have any suggestions of what I can do to make the original shroud working?

I have already verified that the fans were working when I tried them on another card.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Might be worth trying to jerry rig a cpu cooler on there and then control the fan using the motherboard. here is a video of a guy doing it, you will need to get heatsinks for the vrm tho (obviously you would get a low profile cooler)

Main PC | AMD R7 3700X | Noctua D14 | MSI RTX 2080 Super XS OC | Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | MSI B550A Pro | 1TB PNY XLR8 NVMe SSD | Kingston A400 960GB SSD | 2TB Western Digital Green HDD | Fractal Design Define R6TG |

Laptop (Asus TUF FX505DY) | AMD R5 3550H | RX560X | Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | Western Digital SN550 256GB SSD | PNY CS900 960GB SSD |

Phone | Samsung S10 Lite (128GB + 128GB SD card) |

Other Cool Stuff | Steam Link | Sontronics Podcast Pro | NZXT Hue+ | Corsair K70 MK 2 (MX Brown) | Logitech G402 | HiSense A7300 43 Inch 4K TV | Logitech C920 | Ender 3 Pro with Bulleye Fan duct and BLTouch |Sony PS4 | Nintendo Switch 

4 minutes ago, AdamBGames said:

Might be worth trying to jerry rig a cpu cooler on there and then control the fan using the motherboard. here is a video of a guy doing it, you will need to get heatsinks for the vrm tho (obviously you would get a low profile cooler)

honestly, at that point it'd look better to stick with 120mm fans on the stock heatsink.

19 minutes ago, Generallee said:

Run em off a PWM header on your motherboard, use some adapter

Just bought one, 

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/32696584976/32696584976.html

9 minutes ago, AdamBGames said:

I might just actually do that

17 minutes ago, manikyath said:

sorry.. but.. what the FUCK did you do to your cabling? i havent even seen prebuilts that bad.

and as for a more nicer looker fix, bodge the fans of the shroud to something in the range of 5-12 volts (or a header on the mobo) and deal with it that way.

i'd suggest one of those fan controllers with built in temp sensor control, but they are more expensive than what you paid for your card :P

It's still kind of a work in progress lol, I bought an old powermac G5 for €40 half a year ago and this is just a temporary case, I just haven't gotten around to atx modding it yet.

could do a build log on it.

image.jpg

running the card with some 120/140mm fans might not be the prettiest way but its effective, 5minutes work onto cablemanagement would be worth it too :P

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

6 minutes ago, Bl00dgod said:

running the card with some 120/140mm fans might not be the prettiest way but its effective, 5minutes work onto cablemanagement would be worth it too :P

Looks a lot better than mine tbh, I'll try it with zip ties, thanks.