Help with modem search

jooroth18
Go to solution Solved by Donut417,
3 hours ago, jooroth18 said:

Hi. This is the first time I've asked a question instead of responding to one so I'm sorry if I did anything wrong. I am in a situation of finding a modem to hook up to my frontier/verizon fios fiber coaxial connection. I currently use the isp provided gateway and want a better solution. Any advice as to where I should look would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

OK. SO if you have a fiber connection your ONT is your modem. The router has Coax because Verizon used Coax to do TV. The ONT converts from Fiber to Copper. In your case Coax, in some cases Ethernet. The issue is, a combo unit isnt going to work. I dont know of any routers that have Coax built in. Only cable modems seem to. 

Im pretty sure you have to use their router if you have TV, there is no options. If you dont have TV, you can see if they will convert to Ethernet. 

Hi. This is the first time I've asked a question instead of responding to one so I'm sorry if I did anything wrong. I am in a situation of finding a modem to hook up to my frontier/verizon fios fiber coaxial connection. I currently use the isp provided gateway and want a better solution. Any advice as to where I should look would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

netgear, asus, cisco are all great options, wouldn't really recommend tp link - most of their software is antiquidated

7 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

netgear, asus, cisco are all great options, wouldn't really recommend tp link - most of their software is antiquidated

I left the consumer market and bought a ubiquiti unifi system. I've had all the consumer brand's and in my situation I've had sooooo many issues. Thx for your suggestion but I'm looking for a modem. I already have a unifi switch and 3 ap pros...

3 hours ago, jooroth18 said:

OK. SO if you have a fiber connection your ONT is your modem. The router has Coax because Verizon used Coax to do TV. The ONT converts from Fiber to Copper. In your case Coax, in some cases Ethernet. The issue is, a combo unit isnt going to work. I dont know of any routers that have Coax built in. Only cable modems seem to. 

Im pretty sure you have to use their router if you have TV, there is no options. If you dont have TV, you can see if they will convert to Ethernet. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.