need a laptop for college

im going to be buying a laptop soon it needs to buy from argos or pc world (buy now pay in 12 months) and im looking for something with great portability and good enough power to do programming (only using visual basic at the moment but will be moving onto a new language in a few months)

currently i was thinking about buying one of these :

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6551797 - asus zenbook

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6729897 - acer swift 3 

Hmmm I'm not a big fan of Acer OR Asus.... Here's my tips for you:

1) Get an SSD- looks like you've done this. SSD's are not only faster, but you lose the risk of losing all your progress if you drop you laptop, which is bound to happen.

2) Don't put all you money into one. Modern laptops don't have a long shelf life. Get a chromebook if you think you will not need any big programs.

3) Get a touch screen/2-in-1. If you use Windows 10, you will need a touch screen to feel comfortable. This is opinion, but I've had 5 laptops in my whole life, and the ones with Windows 10 feel super awkward without touch screen.

4) Make sure it has the settings that you want- good keyboard, touchpad, etc.

Good luck in college and hope you find your dream laptop!

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

the acer swift 3 looks good you probably want the extra 4gb of ram and the i5 over the i3

2 minutes ago, LukeS said:

Hmmm I'm not a big fan of Acer OR Asus.... Here's my tips for you:

1) Get an SSD- looks like you've done this. SSD's are not only faster, but you lose the risk of losing all your progress if you drop you laptop, which is bound to happen.

2) Don't put all you money into one. Modern laptops don't have a long shelf life. Get a chromebook if you think you will not need any big programs.

3) Get a touch screen/2-in-1. If you use Windows 10, you will need a touch screen to feel comfortable. This is opinion, but I've had 5 laptops in my whole life, and the ones with Windows 10 feel super awkward without touch screen.

4) Make sure it has the settings that you want- good keyboard, touchpad, etc.

Good luck in college and hope you find your dream laptop!

oh i was thinking about a 2 in 1 but im not sure about the touch screen and how long it would last (battery life), its the yoga 510: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-yoga-510-14-2-in-1-black-10146249-pdt.html

3 minutes ago, Tb428 said:

the acer swift 3 looks good you probably want the extra 4gb of ram and the i5 over the i3

true, i may do some photo editing, going to new york soon and gonna take a shit tonne of pics lol 

2 minutes ago, LukeS said:

he said he was coding chromebooks cannot run  visual studio which is what he said he is doing.

3 minutes ago, LukeS said:

probably want the touch screen because you have always had one and you use it but for a budget it is not a good option

6 minutes ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

that looks good it has dedicated graphics but also has 6th gen cpu compared to the other 2 with 7th gen but there isn't much of a difference unless your overclocking which when using a laptop your probably not

1 minute ago, Tb428 said:

that looks good it has dedicated graphics but also has 6th gen cpu compared to the other 2 with 7th gen but there isn't much of a difference unless your overclocking which when using a laptop your probably not

yeah thinking about that one but you can only do buy now pay 6 months on pc world but at argos ill be able to do buy now pay in a year so i know ill 100% be able to pay it off in about 8-9 months