Performance Degradation by age?

CallMeMysterious

I have an older system that I have upgraded a couple times. I remember awhile ago, like 2-3 months I could play all the games I wanted at 1080p 60+fps

Now, I am experiencing a plethora of framedrops. I used to get 75fps in warframe on high, but now I can barely pull 40fps low. It's even worse in newer games like Black Ops 3 and Fallout 4. 

Rocket League and Battlefield 1 are being effected by this too

This is extremely upsetting for me so my first thought is "well, maybe it's time to upgrade," but I have little to no money to spend.

Ideally I would like to fix this without having to upgrade. I am not sure if it is my CPU (FX 6300 OC to 4.0ghz) or GPU (GTX 750 Ti FTW) bottlenecking the system.

I know my CPU is old but I can't afford the upgrade to a FX 8350 or a platform switch to Intel. 

**EDIT**

It was RAM. Make sure you don't have a massive amount of Hardware Reserved RAM. If you have about half or you don't know why you are loosing FPS, check in Task Manager > Performance > RAM > Hardware Reserved

If there is a massive amount, open Regedit with [Windows] + R and ender "Regedit" without quotes. 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > CurrentControlSet > Control > Session Manager > Memory Management and click on it, change ClearPageFileAtShutdown from 0 to 1 and reboot. Viola, fixed

Shouldn't be an issue of "age". Open a on screen hardware monitor and see what's causing the bottleneck. 

Maybe something like MSI afteburner 

Gpu performance degradation by age is a myth imo. My old 7950 perform better than it did 3 years ago and that with 2 months of gpu mining 24/7. 

Unless you overclock and overvolt it through the wall it should still perform like it did when brand new after many years. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

It's probably a heat problem, make sure to clean your case and components.

1 minute ago, xAcid9 said:

Gpu performance degradation by age is a myth imo. My old 7950 perform better than it did 3 years ago and that with 2 months of gpu mining 24/7. 

Unless you overclock and overvolt it through the wall it should still perform like it did when brand new after many years. 

I found out why. I had to edit one value in regedit. It was the registry that fixes hardware reserved RAM.

And AMD cards tend to perform better over time because of a technology called "Fine Wine"

1 minute ago, Mello said:

It's probably a heat problem, make sure to clean your case and components.

It was RAM of all things. Half of my ram was Hardware Reserved, so I fixed it

3 minutes ago, CallMeMysterious said:

It was RAM of all things. Half of my ram was Hardware Reserved, so I fixed it

oh ok.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, please tell me how it fixed the problem, is it not supposed to clear the page file stored on the drive?

I have this hardware reserved issue, I will try it and let you know.

16 minutes ago, Mafioo said:

Hello, please tell me how it fixed the problem, is it not supposed to clear the page file stored on the drive?

I have this hardware reserved issue, I will try it and let you know.

Your page file should clear after each shut down.
It should also change as you're using the computer.
Data should not just be piling up in the paging file.

I personally turned it off on both of my systems.

8GB ram on one, 16GB on the other.

Haven't used paging files since Vista.

It's not a race to the bottom.

34 minutes ago, 0x1e said:

Your page file should clear after each shut down.
It should also change as you're using the computer.
Data should not just be piling up in the paging file.

I personally turned it off on both of my systems.

8GB ram on one, 16GB on the other.

Haven't used paging files since Vista.

I use to have 16GB on windows 8.1 and never had any problem, I remember not even using the page feature (the virtual memory feature not the ClearPageFileAtShutdown one) .

But since I upgraded to 64GB and windows 10 the hardware reserved problem keeps showing.

I am not sure if it's because of the titan xp I recently installed.

The problem is I am an industrial designer and I need to have multiple 3D apps opened with heavy loads.

At some point 64GB (the motherboard limit) will not be enough for my intense use, this is where the page file will be useful.

But I don't understand how this can affect the hardware reserved because this locked amount of memory is dedicated to the GPU.

I am not sure if this can be caused by my GTX 760 which is still installed (for cuda rendering).  

9 hours ago, Mafioo said:

I use to have 16GB on windows 8.1 and never had any problem, I remember not even using the page feature (the virtual memory feature not the ClearPageFileAtShutdown one) .

But since I upgraded to 64GB and windows 10 the hardware reserved problem keeps showing.

I am not sure if it's because of the titan xp I recently installed.

The problem is I am an industrial designer and I need to have multiple 3D apps opened with heavy loads.

At some point 64GB (the motherboard limit) will not be enough for my intense use, this is where the page file will be useful.

But I don't understand how this can affect the hardware reserved because this locked amount of memory is dedicated to the GPU.

I am not sure if this can be caused by my GTX 760 which is still installed (for cuda rendering).  

In Windows 10 the paging file works differently than before. It works more like Apple and Linux.

So the programs that you are not using but are open (so idle) should go to the page file. However now it gets heavily compressed in RAM and then goes to the paging file once you've used up all your ram.

However once you've reached your limit Windows will tell you. Your computer won't just explode or BSOD because you're out of RAM if you have no page file. It will tell you then clear the compressed file.

The more hardware you have the more ram that will be reserved. How much is being reserved?
It should only be a few megs, 100-500MB. Some "gaming systems" will use as little as 10-30MB. 

16 hours ago, 0x1e said:

In Windows 10 the paging file works differently than before. It works more like Apple and Linux.

So the programs that you are not using but are open (so idle) should go to the page file. However now it gets heavily compressed in RAM and then goes to the paging file once you've used up all your ram.

However once you've reached your limit Windows will tell you. Your computer won't just explode or BSOD because you're out of RAM if you have no page file. It will tell you then clear the compressed file.

The more hardware you have the more ram that will be reserved. How much is being reserved?
It should only be a few megs, 100-500MB. Some "gaming systems" will use as little as 10-30MB. 

Interesting thanks for the info.

Here is the problem I get like 8GB of reserved memory or more.

Asus told me my ram is not compatible but on windows 8.1 it worked fine, they also told me that my motherboard is not compatible with windows 10.

Technically speaking none of their server motherboards are compatible with windows 10. I mean the 7 gamers,1 CPU asus Z10PE-D8 WS board is not compatible with windows 10.

My only way out is basically force reset the pc and just keep it on for days with just use the hibernate or sleep feature. If I do this it will get like 10-60MB of hardware reserved. 

Also taking out the page file feature will result in no dumps if I get a BSOD. I will try it but the ClearPageFileAtShutdown didn't fix it.

I am pretty sure it's with the titanxp gpu (also not compatible). I can't find any memory management feature in the BIOS.

Ok with the info from the picture I think this should be the math:

1; 64gb(full ram) - 28gb (shared sys mem) = 36gb (available mem to be shared or used)

2; 36gb- 31gb (current in use mem on the picture) = 5gb (only available if the 28gb is really shared and used )

3; 5gb+ 28gb (shared true but still available mem since the gpu have enough mem)= 33gb (real available mem if nothing is shared and used)  

4; 33gb + 8gb (hardware reserved)= 41gb (around the committed out of 63.9)

Looks like the 8.1 is the minimum locked memory for the gpus, 288646 MB is in case the gpus need more mem but it's not locked so it can used for any other resources requirement.

Also if you look at my app bottom right (mubox) it says GPU mem:8364 I realize that if this number goes any higher my hardware reserved will just double.

In theory it's supposed to improve my files load times but it doesn't.     

Now I can be totally wrong.

What do you think? I mean it's a server it supposed to stay on 24/7 I just don't have to shut it down regularly until I find a fix. The fault is on windows 10 not my incompatible hardware.   

Screenshot (4).png

3 hours ago, Mafioo said:

Interesting thanks for the info.

Here is the problem I get like 8GB of reserved memory or more.

Asus told me my ram is not compatible but on windows 8.1 it worked fine, they also told me that my motherboard is not compatible with windows 10.

Technically speaking none of their server motherboards are compatible with windows 10. I mean the 7 gamers,1 CPU asus Z10PE-D8 WS board is not compatible with windows 10.

My only way out is basically force reset the pc and just keep it on for days with just use the hibernate or sleep feature. If I do this it will get like 10-60MB of hardware reserved. 

Also taking out the page file feature will result in no dumps if I get a BSOD. I will try it but the ClearPageFileAtShutdown didn't fix it.

I am pretty sure it's with the titanxp gpu (also not compatible). I can't find any memory management feature in the BIOS.

Ok with the info from the picture I think this should be the math:

1; 64gb(full ram) - 28gb (shared sys mem) = 36gb (available mem to be shared or used)

2; 36gb- 31gb (current in use mem on the picture) = 5gb (only available if the 28gb is really shared and used )

3; 5gb+ 28gb (shared true but still available mem since the gpu have enough mem)= 33gb (real available mem if nothing is shared and used)  

4; 33gb + 8gb (hardware reserved)= 41gb (around the committed out of 63.9)

Looks like the 8.1 is the minimum locked memory for the gpus, 288646 MB is in case the gpus need more mem but it's not locked so it can used for any other resources requirement.

Also if you look at my app bottom right (mubox) it says GPU mem:8364 I realize that if this number goes any higher my hardware reserved will just double.

In theory it's supposed to improve my files load times but it doesn't.     

Now I can be totally wrong.

What do you think? I mean it's a server it supposed to stay on 24/7 I just don't have to shut it down regularly until I find a fix. The fault is on windows 10 not my incompatible hardware.   

Screenshot (4).png

8GB is far too much.

Asus saying "not compatible, blah blah" is them just fobbing you off. They have done no testing and not paid for the "windows 10 certified" sticker so they will give you no help. It's a stupid practice.

I remember having too much reserved ram in the past, but can't remember how I fixed it or what caused it.

I'm going to spit out what ever comes to memory.

In the bios you may have a feature called "Memory remap" It's not a feature for this case but may help.

Start -> MSconfig -> boot -> advanced options -> click maximum memory -> add all your ram. You will need to restart. Again, wasn't designed for this but has helped.

The GPU can use RAM if it runs out of its own VRAM. Do you think this is the case?

Reinstall the GPU drivers. Use DDU. It could be a memory leak.

Remove the GPUs if possible then check the reserved. My best bet is it's to do with them in some way. Start with the 760.

Does a program load or get used just before you notice that the reserved ram spikes?

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:09 PM, 0x1e said:

8GB is far too much.

Asus saying "not compatible, blah blah" is them just fobbing you off. They have done no testing and not paid for the "windows 10 certified" sticker so they will give you no help. It's a stupid practice.

I remember having too much reserved ram in the past, but can't remember how I fixed it or what caused it.

I'm going to spit out what ever comes to memory.

In the bios you may have a feature called "Memory remap" It's not a feature for this case but may help.

Start -> MSconfig -> boot -> advanced options -> click maximum memory -> add all your ram. You will need to restart. Again, wasn't designed for this but has helped.

The GPU can use RAM if it runs out of its own VRAM. Do you think this is the case?

Reinstall the GPU drivers. Use DDU. It could be a memory leak.

Remove the GPUs if possible then check the reserved. My best bet is it's to do with them in some way. Start with the 760.

Does a program load or get used just before you notice that the reserved ram spikes?

The GPU never runs out of VRAM I don't think it's the case.

In the bios there is no feature called memory remap (my only hope). I was wondering if the sleep states can affect the ram. It's possible to put the pc to sleep with the ram still on or just sleep and only power to the cpu. I use the one with ram because the pc doesn't shut down with the CPU option.

I recently reinstalled windows 10 pro with fresh NVidia driver, it didn't change.

It's strange reserved ram doesn't occur I real-time I need to reboot the pc first. I don't know what to do, been months now. I checked my ram dims and everything is healthy.

The bios need the memory management feature but Asus won't update the bios...