Mechanical Keyboards and switches

Andrew529

Hey there,

I just built my own computer and I am currently stuck with a Gigabyte cheap keyboard because I spent my budget on components. I do game on my computer alot but I don't know if I want to spend extra for extra programmable keys etc. I play LoL occasionally but I don't want to buy a keyboard around that. I do a lot of my A-Level work on my computer so I want a keyboard with keyswitches that have a nice sound to them as well as very robust. I do not know much about different key switches and do not know which mechanical keyboard to buy or which switches to look at. Price range up to £150 maybe slightly more if I feel its worth it.

Thanks,

Andrew 

Screw that, Metadot Das Ultimate.

I haven't heard anything about that keyboard? Do you have one yourself? Or what do you think of it?

Another day, another thread asking about mech keyboards and their switches.

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

For a quiet but clicky keyboard I recommend a cherry mx brown keyboard, I like the G710+ because of the dedicated media keys.

It's also on sale at the minute on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-G710-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B00CM1TTGG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383679371&sr=8-1&keywords=g710%2B

Thats a nice looking keyboard. The media keys is something I skipped over but thinking about it might be something that could be handy to have, good price point to. So are Cherry MX Brown's good for typing on? Or is it just because I am weird and like to have an audible click when I type?

Another day, another thread asking about mech keyboards and their switches.

Indeed it is, I skipped over some of the others but I just didn't find them all to helpful. If you could contribute - it'd be great.

Indeed it is, I skipped over some of the others but I just didn't find them all to helpful. If you could contribute - it'd be great.

Well since you seem to liek clicky switches with good sound then the Cherry MX Blue switches are the best for you. So...some mech keyboard with blues.

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

I haven't heard anything about that keyboard? Do you have one yourself? Or what do you think of it?

It's a good keyboard

I haven't invested enough into my rig overall to justify giving up an SSD for a keyboard. If I got hit by a windfall of cash though, that's my go-to keyboard.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

You should check out a PC world store near by where you live. Although from my experience since I also live in the UK they don't have variety. What was in stock was the Logitech G710+ brownswitches personally they feel mussy in the sense where they to me feel like membrane less noisy :(

I have a CMQ Stealth Green Keyboard pretty descent but I'm dying just order a ducky wrist rest to go along...I'm just fat and lazy :(

If you're keen on reading in the event you can't have a physical copy here's a great link to understand the characteristics pretty amazing stuff.

http://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index.php/2012/12/an-introduction-to-cherry-mx-mechanical-switches/

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Go to PC World and try out some switches, I think it nice to type on, other may not. It's completely opinionated. 

Yeh - that is something I have found out haha. A lot of it is just solely down to what YOU like.

Well since you seem to liek clicky switches with good sound then the Cherry MX Blue switches are the best for you. So...some mech keyboard with blues.

Alright thanks - I'll check it out. Any straight up suggestions that have Blue switches?

K70 / K95

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

I haven't invested enough into my rig overall to justify giving up an SSD for a keyboard. If I got hit by a windfall of cash though, that's my go-to keyboard.

Yeh it is mighty expensive! But it looks like a mighty damn fine keyboard too tho!

You should check out a PC world store near by where you live. Although from my experience since I also live in the UK they don't have variety. What was in stock was the Logitech G710+ brownswitches personally they feel mussy in the sense where they to me feel like membrane less noisy :(

I have a CMQ Stealth Green Keyboard pretty descent but I'm dying just order a ducky wrist rest to go along...I'm just fat and lazy :(

If you're keen on reading in the event you can't have a physical copy here's a great link to understand the characteristics pretty amazing stuff.

http://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index.php/2012/12/an-introduction-to-cherry-mx-mechanical-switches/

Ah thanks man! I;ll give it a read up! 

- Yeh, my local PC world were also very lacking in their variety off keyswitches. I have been considering driving up to overclockers soon, just so I can actually try out some of the different keyswitches!

Alright thanks - I'll check it out. Any straight up suggestions that have Blue switches?

Razer Blackwidow keyboards(although a lot of people say their bad but a lot of people also say they are good), CM Storm Quickfire TK, Ducky Shine keyboards are some.

Specs of my PC:

The only problem I have with mine is that If CoolerMaster were any smarter designers they'd add the rubberized surface on the keyboard itself onto an actual bloody wrist rest but no.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

K70 / K95

The K95 looks pretty damn sexy and the extra macro switches don't seem too add much bulk to the keyboard which is awesome. I also like Corsairs high profile caps.

Razer Balckwidow keyboards(although a lot of people say their bad but a lot of people also say they are good), CM Storm Quickfire TK, Ducky Shine keyboards are some.

Razer blackwidow is descent as well as the Ducky shine but the third edition is 140 quid in the UK

Razer Blackwidow keyboards(although a lot of people say their bad but a lot of people also say they are good), CM Storm Quickfire TK, Ducky Shine keyboards are some.

Alright I'll check it out mate (: I do like the style of some of the Ducky Shine keyboards but don't know much about them.

Razer blackwidow is descent as well as the Ducky shine but the third edition is 140 quid in the UK

Ahh cheers - I'll take that into account.

The only problem I have with mine is that If CoolerMaster were any smarter designers they'd add the rubberized surface on the keyboard itself onto an actual bloody wrist rest but no.

Which keyboard is this, sorry?

Cooler Master Quickfire Stealth......damn long ass product name unfortunately its not available in the UK for purchase right off the bat. If you live close to London I'd pretty much loan someone it as a example