New build - random temporary black screens

sparco_
Go to solution Solved by Ensho,

Also, if you are using a DP cable, check to see if your in DP 1.1 or 1.2 mode.  DP 1.2 mode with that monitor can act funny.  The mini DP cable that comes with that monitor is good.  Or, if you are using an HDMI cable...then that may be the issue.  You can't get 1440p 60z on that monitor with an HDMI cable.

Hi all,

Today i completed my first new PC build. I checked my BIOS, all parts are there, fans are spinning, temperatures seem OK. No display issues so far. Installed Windows via USB, successful install, still no display issues.

I booted and logged in to a clean Windows 10 desktop, plugged in the LAN cable and went to the MSI site to download some drivers. The screen resolution seemed to be off, probably at 1080p or something. But no big deal or so i thought, since i had yet to install the GPU drivers.

Still, no display issues or whatsoever. I installed the Intel Chipset drivers and did a reboot. Windows login screen comes on, and i get a black screen. After a second the screen returns to normal and i continue, log in, and after 30 seconds i get another black screen. This keeps continuing randomly every 20-40 seconds, for a second or 2 max. The OS doesn't seem to freeze or lag.

Some sites suggested to open up task manager to see if the whole screen turns black except the task manager, but it's a full blackout.

One thing i noticed, after the first reboot my screen resolution was at 1440p. I changed it back to 1080p for testing purposes, and the random black screen flashes stopped. 

Back to 1440p and the flashes are back....

I don't think it has to do anything with my monitor or display cable (DP to miniDP) since they work (and have worked before) fine using a laptop.

Because i don't get the black flashes at 1080p i guess the CPU, MOBO and GPU aren't faulty?

Thanks in advance!

Part list:

Windows 10 Pro

MSI X99A SLI Plus

Intel i7-5820K

MSI GeForce GTX 1060 ARMOR 6G OCV1

Corsair RM550x

Kingston DDR4 HyperX Fury 2x8GB 2666

Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB

Scythe Mugen 5

Crucial MX300 275 GB

Dell U25H15 1440p monitor 

3 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Why pro

Because the Windows 10 Pro OEM key is 5 dollar cheaper then the Windows 10 Home key. I don't need any specific functions from the Pro version as far as i know.

have you tried a different pcie slot, also try an older driver first.

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

5 minutes ago, sparco_ said:

Because the Windows 10 Pro OEM key is 5 dollar cheaper then the Windows 10 Home key. I don't need any specific functions from the Pro version as far as i know.

where were you buying windows from???

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

14 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Why pro

Why not try to help rather than post a stupid, worthless comment.....

OP, perhaps you could unistall the gpu driver with DDU in safe mode and then reinstall it again.  DDU can be useful in that it fully cleans gpu drivers from the system.

http://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=736

Be sure after you unpack it and run it to select 'reboot into safe mode'

It is possible your gpu driver got corrupted when installed the chipset driver.  You could even uninstall the chipset and ime drivers first...then install each again (making sure they are the latest versions)...then run DDU and reinstall the gpu drivers.

Fractal Design Define C | Intel Core i7 7700k | Corsair H100i V2 | Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7 | Seasonic Prime 750 | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16gb G.Skill Trident Z | Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500gb | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Razer Firefly | Dell U2515H

i was having a similar issue after i overclocked, ran some test and everything came back okay. id get a random black screen then it would come back even just web browsing. I even had my pc not wake from sleep requiring a hard reset. Was talking with a friend of mine and his new pc that he just built January 1 was doing the same thing the other day. The only thing i can think of that may be the cause would be a windows update that happened around the same time a few days ago. I also suspect windows because my icons were moved on my desktop again like a previous windows update caused about 6 months ago. it could also be a resolution issue between nvidia driver and windows 10.

Also, if you are using a DP cable, check to see if your in DP 1.1 or 1.2 mode.  DP 1.2 mode with that monitor can act funny.  The mini DP cable that comes with that monitor is good.  Or, if you are using an HDMI cable...then that may be the issue.  You can't get 1440p 60z on that monitor with an HDMI cable.

Fractal Design Define C | Intel Core i7 7700k | Corsair H100i V2 | Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7 | Seasonic Prime 750 | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16gb G.Skill Trident Z | Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500gb | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Razer Firefly | Dell U2515H

Check Microsoft site. This happened to me and it has to do with an update conflicting with 3rd party drivers. Log into a working account, if you don't have one you can look up ways to activate admin account. Then delete your account and re signin sign in to your account. It should work then. If not then ensure that your driver's are at the latest version. Othe then that idk

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2017 at 1:50 AM, Ensho said:

This seemed to be the problem.

I switched my monitor to DP1.2 and the flickering stopped.

Since then i only had 1 short screen flicker in about 2 weeks.

Thank you all.