Universal Remote Control

jinscho

I finally convinced my wife to cut the cord and get rid of our $240 a month cable bill and make the switch to Sling via a Nvidia Shield TV.  The only problem I'm having now is juggling remote controls in the living room.  Our TiVo remote we had through the cable company was able to control the set top box, TV power/input, and surround sound volume.  With two kids and a wife who loses things every few minutes, I'm sure you can appreciate why I can't deal with the 3 separate remotes.

Can anyone suggest a good remote that would be able to fill the role of those 3?  I'd prefer something with a full qwerty keyboard as well if possible.

TV is an LG

Surround is an older RCA

Nvidia Shield TV (2017 model)

6 hours ago, jinscho said:

I finally convinced my wife to cut the cord and get rid of our $240 a month cable bill and make the switch to Sling via a Nvidia Shield TV.  The only problem I'm having now is juggling remote controls in the living room.  Our TiVo remote we had through the cable company was able to control the set top box, TV power/input, and surround sound volume.  With two kids and a wife who loses things every few minutes, I'm sure you can appreciate why I can't deal with the 3 separate remotes.

Can anyone suggest a good remote that would be able to fill the role of those 3?  I'd prefer something with a full qwerty keyboard as well if possible.

TV is an LG

Surround is an older RCA

Nvidia Shield TV (2017 model)

I'm not aware of any one remote that can do what you're asking... mainly because of the querty keyboard. Typically there is a mic for searching even though not every app supports it. 

For remotes though, Logitech's harmony remotes are the only option for cord cutters. I was not impressed personally and I tried it twice. Logitech is generally a champ when it comes to software. The mobile device app necessary to configure the remote is an absolute joke and it's very buggy and not intuitive. Logitech knows its customers though, and the Harmony has been designed for idiots. No offense... it just had no place in my theater. I'm stuck with 5 remotes. But you might have better luck. Good luck figuring out which model to buy.