Android 4.4.2 "com.android.systemui has stopped working"

Go to solution Solved by Cedi,

Hey everyone!

I found the problem! The newest update of the Google App is what causes the problem!

Just hit "Uninstall" in the Playstore and it will reset the app to it's first state and you can use your "recent apps" screen like normal.

Thanks for all your replies.

Hi there!

A couple of hours ago I was installing some app-updates (via Google Play Store) to my Samsung S3 Neo (Android 4.4.2) as I do nearly every weekend. (I hate auto-updates on smartphones btw.) After all of those were finished, I started to browse the web and watch YouTube as I normally do. But when I tried to close the apps with holding down my home button to get into my recent apps menu the error occured. It says "The process com.android.systemui stopped working".(Or something like that; I'm translating it from german to english). I could use my phone normally, exept that every time I try to open my recent apps screen, the error occures, it shows my background for a second and then dumps me out at my lock-screen. I started to browse the complete web trying to find a solution. Most things you find sound like this:

1. Wipe the cache partition

Did this. Didn't help.

2.Uninstall 3rd-Party Apps

There is nearly no 3rd Party App on my phone. Those that are are from verificated devs on the Google Play Store. Even the safe mode didnt help.

3.Un-/Reinstall your ROM or root.

I dont have any Rom or root installed on my phone. (At least not that I know)

4.Do a factory-reset.

I don't want to do that, if it is not 100% safe that it will work, because I dont want to reinstall all my apps 'n stuff if it still won't work after a reset.

If you need more Information, feel free to ask! Every help is appreciated.

Hi Cedi,

Exactly the same happened to me this morning. I saw on the tray  that some apps made auto update during the night, but I didn't check which of them. It must have installed something that made the system corrupted somehow... I have even tried the full factory reset after backup, but the problem is still there. Perhaps one more info: after wiping the cache in boot menu,  I found a small "error" tag below the green android figure showing up for a short time after hitting reboot. I'm getting mad about this.

If anyone has a hint on how this could be solved, please help.

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, bookerman said:

I found a small "error" tag below the green android figure showing up for a short time after hitting reboot. I'm getting mad about this.

Same happend to me. I didn't thought it was important so I ignored it. I think the only thing to do is wait and see what the new app updates are going to change... But this gives me hope. It shows, that somehow the problem is made by an app and is (hopefully) going to get fixed.

same thing here :( i did te factory reset and it worked for a while , but now it's happening again

Update

The factory reset indeed solves this problem.

The only thing I made wrong with my last recovery, was that I forgot to turn off auto app update immediately after reboot with fresh recovery thus the app that messed up the system is reinstalled it's latest update again. Eventually, I manually update and install my applications one-by-one and see if I come across the one that causes the artifact. So far I have not find it, but at least the system runs smooth. My gut feeling says avoid updating google though ;)

I hope this helps

Hey everyone!

I found the problem! The newest update of the Google App is what causes the problem!

Just hit "Uninstall" in the Playstore and it will reset the app to it's first state and you can use your "recent apps" screen like normal.

Thanks for all your replies.

I just wanted to compliment you with your research. My dad's phone (also a Galaxy S 3 Neo, running Android 4.4.2) had been experiencing the same trouble with the crash in com.android.systemui. Uninstalling updates for the app "Google" resolved the matter. This saved me a lot of time!

Thanks for this.  Uninstalling (resetting) the Google app also fixed the same symptoms on a Samsung S4 Mini running Android 4.4.2 which was doing this when the center button was held (to show all active tasks).

• 2 weeks later...

It was bug but it can be fixed by uninstalling google app.May be this is google app issue or sometimes wiping caache partition will also work. I have found this useful guide that suggest some other option to fix com.android.systemui has stopped error.