Biggest file ever?

Train27

Hi there

Just wanted to share a funny anecdote that happened to me a few weeks ago.

So I was preparing for an exam at the University, and the day finally came. The exam was about disk management and its inner functioning + file systems (blocks, nodes, header movements and optimization algorithms).

The thing is, I completely forgot to bring my calculator, so I had in front of me the hard task of facing lots of 'Gibis' and 'Mebis' calculations with bit precision, with only a couple of hours of sleep at my back.

I realized this was a lost cause when, after two hours of exam, I found myself working with a massive 3,3 trillion GiB file, and spent the rest of the time navigating through various pages of disorganized eight and nine digit counts trying to found the error.

wait, you're saying you actually created a 3.3 trillion GiB file?  And in ~2 hours no less?  That would require an ungodly amount of storage and an inconceivably high write speed

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

wait, you're saying you actually created a 3.3 trillion GiB file?  And in ~2 hours no less?  That would require an ungodly amount of storage and an inconceivably high write speed

LOL no, who on earth could have that amount of storage and computing power while making an exam? HDD's be cachin' fire lulz xDDDD

It was all paperwork, theoretical.

Just now, Train27 said:

LOL no, who on earth could have that amount of storage and computing power while making an exam? HDD's be cachin' fire lulz xDDDD

It was all paperwork, theoretical.

oh, that makes a lot more sense xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.