Are this cables enough for gigabit?

Amit Moryossef

Redoing my network, and I need short cables that would support gigabit. I looked for cat5e (ebay is my only source), and found these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302181315477

Although they are cat5e, it is listed they have "data speed" of "10/100 Mbps", which I find odd, so are these cables enough? If not, what should I look for?

Edit:

Cat 6 ethernet are listed with 1 gigabit support, although they are way more expensive, and the actual cable in the wall is cat5e

longer cat5e cables can be 100m, but that's for sure a gigabit cable

idk

Hi!

When cables mention speed, it's important to understand the way they are written, as they can be quite confusing at times.

The data speed shows what it can run on, in this case it can run on 10 Mbps to a max of 100mbps, what you are looking for is 1000mbps, which is written like 10/100/1000.

That would provide you with one Gigabit of speed.

Usually this would be Cat 5e U/UTP.

You can find Cat 5e here:

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/cat-5-cable

EDIT:

As you mentioned, it IS quite weird why they are mentioning a 10/100 speed when they say it's cat 5e, i'd recommend you to find somewhere else which actually shows the speed that cat 5e is running on, or purchase and test it instantly and refund if it does not support gigabit.

Read my guide about malware removal here!

If I do not follow your thread, please quote me, tag me or PM me :)

Cat5e is 24/4 gauge wire and it does support gigabit, a guarantee it. The only difference between Cat5e and Cat6 is the gauge of the wire.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

Cat5e is 24/4 gauge wire and it does support gigabit, a guarantee it. The only difference between Cat5e and Cat6 is the gauge of the wire.

What I however was considering was the fact the person on eBay might think he has a Cat 5e but does actually have some older cable, however this seems unlikely.

But what seems the most unlikely? An older cable or writing the wrong speed? :P

Read my guide about malware removal here!

If I do not follow your thread, please quote me, tag me or PM me :)

1 minute ago, MySelfLuls said:

What I however was considering was the fact the person on eBay might think he has a Cat 5e but does actually have some older cable, however this seems unlikely.

But what seems the most unlikely? An older cable or writing the wrong speed? :P

even if it was Cat5, most cable will do it. It's all about certification.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Ok, thank you all, I got it. It is very cheap, and shipping is less than a week, so I will hopefully confirm shortly