Did I ruin my PC?

ChaseKeo

Just built my first PC. Had 0 idea what I was doing before building it but I did successfully put it together and it ran good. I didn't even know what thermal paste was at the time and I just figured out that might be the problem i'm having... actually almost positive it is. I'll use csgo as an example. I got 200+ fps on csgo right when I built my pc, 2 days later I struggle to get 20. I didn't use thermal paste and I'm wondering if that's why my FPS is crap now. Even if I turn my PC off for a full day and then start it up and play after 10 minutes into my PC starting I lag.

Pretty much what i'm wondering is, is the thermal paste the reason I'm lagging and also is my CPU permanently ruined? I ordered thermal paste and it's coming in 2 days and i'm not going to use my PC anymore until then but I really hope after I put it on my PC runs at 200+ fps again and isn't ruined and stuck at this low fps.

What are the temps and CPU usage? 

if you purchased a non-k retail intel cpu, it would have already come with a cooler and paste included on the cooler.

4 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

What are the temps and CPU usage? 

Temps was 60 high 40 low and CPU usage was really weird. along with disk usage, they both changed randomly. They reached close to 100 each and then would go back to 1

I don't know shit but i'm here anyways.

5 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

YOU DIDN'T USE THERMAL PASTE? YEP, IT'S DEAD! PC's FROM 1991 NEEDED THERMAL PASTE! WHYYYYYYY?!

If it was dead he wouldn't even able to turn it on

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

If it was dead he wouldn't even able to turn it on

I can use internet browser perfectly and watch videos, games just lag bad. I have done nothing new to my pc sense it ran good btw.

2 minutes ago, ChaseKayzer said:

Temps was 60 high 40 low and CPU usage was really weird. along with disk usage, they both changed randomly. They reached close to 100 each and then would go back to 1

Thermal Paste improve CPU temps. Are the temps in game?

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

Thermal Paste improve CPU temps. Are the temps in game?

I mean... the temps are bizzare I almost can't answer the question. in game they were about 50 but at random times, in game or out it would hit 100 or something close and then go really low.

1 minute ago, ChaseKayzer said:

I mean... the temps are bizzare I almost can't answer the question. in game they were about 50 but at random times, in game or out it would hit 100 or something close and then go really low.

Wait you are not OP?

Yeah just go in and take out the cooler and then put in the paste you might be able to get something out of it, but if temps were above 100 C its permanently slow

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Wait you are not OP?

Not sure what OP means

Just now, ChaseKayzer said:

Not sure what OP means

Original Poster

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Original Poster

As in the poster of this thread? I made the PC and this thread, I'm looking at the PC right now. when I took the fan off the cpu and looked if there is thermal paste there is this grey stuff almost in a perfect square that makes me think it's thermal paste that was already there but i'm not sure.

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Original Poster

Oh I wasn't understanding of what you meant. I was on my other PC and now i'm on a different one because I don't want to ruin the other one lol. That's why my name is different. I'm switching back now

16 minutes ago, ChaseKayzer said:

As in the poster of this thread? I made the PC and this thread, I'm looking at the PC right now. when I took the fan off the cpu and looked if there is thermal paste there is this grey stuff almost in a perfect square that makes me think it's thermal paste that was already there but i'm not sure.

If its got the Goo, it's thermal pasted.

Without it, you'd be looking at the copper/aluminum baseplate and its easy enough to figure out if its Goo'd or not.

But by removing the cooler and heatsink to check, you may have disrupted the smooth (gap filling) nature of the paste and may need to reapply as re-fixing the cooler now, may result in higher temps due to your goo being manipulated/smeared/modified by removing the cooler.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 hour ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Without it, you'd be looking at the copper/aluminum baseplate and its easy enough to figure out if its Goo'd or not.

But by removing the cooler and heatsink to check, you may have disrupted the smooth (gap filling) nature of the paste and may need to reapply as re-fixing the cooler now, may result in higher temps due to your goo being manipulated/smeared/modified by removing the cooler.

I already bought some more. I wonder what the problem is then

3 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

I bought some thermal paste that will be here in 2 days. I'm not sure what the problem is then if I already had thermal paste... Also when I reapply I just put a dot correct? I won't have to remove any residue from before to smooth it out, just add some more?

Dot, cross, doesnt really matter as long as it covers the whole surface with a thin layer. Dont apply too much, but enough to cover it all, there are plenty of videos showing how to apply thermal paste.