will there be driver issues when i switch from amd to intel???

James Wakeland

hey im upgrading to an i5 7600k next month and people say i need to reinstall windows but i only have 2 drives and their both full and with my upgrade im already over budget so i cant get any external drives to move all my data to. soooo my main question issss, if i dont reinstall win 10 will anything damaging happen if i just pop in my ssd and hhd into my new system next month??? pplease let me know. a few weeks ago i put both drives in an intel rig of a friends and played a couple games to see how much of a preformance difference there was and everything seemed fine... so idk what to think.

I don't think you will need to reinstall Windows. If you change the mobo (which you have to obviously) then the BIOS will detect that and everything would be fine. 

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

1 minute ago, Jasun said:

I don't think you will need to reinstall Windows. If you change the mobo (which you have to obviously) then the BIOS will detect that and everything would be fine. 

ok awesome

Just now, James Wakeland said:

is it difficult to update or change the drivers?

Not really you just install your new ones on top

Hello

1 minute ago, TAHIRMIA said:

Not really you just install your new ones on top

ok thank you

19 minutes ago, Jasun said:

As long as his copy of windows is not attached to his mobo.  The Microsoft product key is tied into the mobo.  If you change mobo, you lose your activation.

OP, check your MS account and be sure your copy of W10 is not tied to any registered devices...and if it is remove it...then be sure to have your W8 or W7 key handy in case it does not automatically activate with a digital license.

I ran into a big headache recently when switching out mobos, but I also re-installed windows.  Nonetheless, Widows keys are tied to the mobo and any change in mobo will deactivate your Windows license.

Fractal Design Define C | Intel Core i7 7700k | Corsair H100i V2 | Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7 | Seasonic Prime 750 | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16gb G.Skill Trident Z | Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500gb | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Razer Firefly | Dell U2515H

18 minutes ago, James Wakeland said:

ok thank you

Actually...if you go that route...uninstall all the Intel drivers first and remove them from your system one by one.  Don't just leave them there.  You will possibly have registry conflicts.

Fractal Design Define C | Intel Core i7 7700k | Corsair H100i V2 | Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7 | Seasonic Prime 750 | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16gb G.Skill Trident Z | Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500gb | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Razer Firefly | Dell U2515H

21 minutes ago, Ensho said:

As long as his copy of windows is not attached to his mobo.  The Microsoft product key is tied into the mobo.  If you change mobo, you lose your activation.

OP, check your MS account and be sure your copy of W10 is not tied to any registered devices...and if it is remove it...then be sure to have your W8 or W7 key handy in case it does not automatically activate with a digital license.

I ran into a big headache recently when switching out mobos, but I also re-installed windows.  Nonetheless, Widows keys are tied to the mobo and any change in mobo will deactivate your Windows license.

my windows isnt legit...lol soooo does it still matter?

50 minutes ago, James Wakeland said:

Oh...Lol...Then no.  Perhaps not.  It may still deactivate though.  Just do what you did before if that happens.  I would still advise uninstalling each intel driver one by one, restarting on each as prompted, just to be on the safe side.  W10 I imagine is better than older Windows versions, but it still would be a good idea to leave as few orphan files as possible.  If you don't have it, you could download CCleaner at the very last uninstall/reboot and run its registry clean up tool.

57 minutes ago, James Wakeland said:

You just admitted to piracy on a public forum.. SMH

Hello

On 1/16/2017 at 1:27 PM, TAHIRMIA said:

You just admitted to piracy on a public forum.. SMH

im being honest because i want to know if anything will be affected or ruined. if a doctor prescribes you medication and says there can be bad reactions or side effects if youre on other medication, and then asks you if youre on anything else, would you lie and risk your health?? i wouldnt. and actually i dooooont think i technically pirated it, i created a boot drive and when i booted, it started downloading windows from somewhere, idk it was like 6 months ago. either way i want honest answers so im not going to hide info that could be important.

17 hours ago, James Wakeland said:

i wouldnt. and actually i dooooont think i technically pirated it, i created a boot drive and when i booted, it started downloading windows from somewhere, 

If you didn't get the boot drive from Microsoft then it is piracy as the boot drive from Microsoft already has the required files so wouldn't need to download. All you did was download a cracked version using a boot disk

Hello

On 1/18/2017 at 10:55 AM, TAHIRMIA said:

If you didn't get the boot drive from Microsoft then it is piracy as the boot drive from Microsoft already has the required files so wouldn't need to download. All you did was download a cracked version using a boot disk

it booted just fine on my regular system. it just didnt on the old crappy system i tried it on. it was an ooold intel system and nothing on that pc was up to date. hasnt been booted in about a year