Installing Windows! Help please

tooley

Okay, so rewind back to 3-4 weeks ago. I tried to install windows 7 onto my Windows 10 pre-built PC. During the process there was an error of somesort and it couldn't be installed, bearing in mind windows 10 had been wiped at this point already. So I was left without an OS. I tried to re-install windows 10 and I get the errors "Windows Cannot be installed onto a GPT partition" and if I convert to an MBR partition I get the ""Windows Cannot be installed onto a MBR partition". I haven't been able to use the PC since then as I can't get anything to work. I am trying to install it off a HDD (Create the bootable media in Media Creation tool onto a second partition) and even when I try off a USB it doesn't work

Here's what I've tried:

Cloning my laptop HDD (System doesn't boot, states no bootable media found)

Converting to GPT

Converting to MBR 

Using unallocated space

I really am Stuck for ideas now. Its driving me crazy and Im thinking about taking it into a store and asking them to install windows onto the disk for me. Anyone have a solution / ideas?

in the windows 10 installer delete the partitions if that doesn't work use a live boot linux usb or cd to wipe the drive 

1 minute ago, Alaradia said:

in the windows 10 installer delete the partitions if that doesn't work use a live boot linux usb or cd to wipe the drive 

So then it would be unallocated space right? It doesn't work I have tried 

2 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

then yeah use a linux live boot cd and use gparted to wipe it 

or you could use http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-guide/usb-bootable-partition-manager.html

or dban may work though since it write zeros it would take longer

Okay I'll try that out. So I have made a partition on my HDD (8GB) For the windows install media and then I would use this tool for where windows will be installed, or the other way around?

you have to fully wipe the hdd so put your windows install on a usb key and then use something to fully wipe the drive 

You must install from DVD or USB, installing from a HDD will not work. Get a 4GB flash drive and use the media creation tool to create your installer.

If you've got any other hard disks connected unplug them and leave only your Windows drive connected.

First off head into UEFI and make sure CSM (aka Compatibility Support Module) is Disabled. Enable fast boot and secure boot while you're there.

Next boot from the Windows 10 installer and at the partition screen press shift+f10 then enter the following commands one at a time (press enter after each)

Diskpart

Select disk 0

Clean

Convert GPT

Exit

Now close the command window and try the install and it should work.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 4:54 PM, tooley said:

Okay, so rewind back to 3-4 weeks ago. I tried to install windows 7 onto my Windows 10 pre-built PC. During the process there was an error of somesort and it couldn't be installed, bearing in mind windows 10 had been wiped at this point already. So I was left without an OS. I tried to re-install windows 10 and I get the errors "Windows Cannot be installed onto a GPT partition" and if I convert to an MBR partition I get the ""Windows Cannot be installed onto a MBR partition". I haven't been able to use the PC since then as I can't get anything to work. I am trying to install it off a HDD (Create the bootable media in Media Creation tool onto a second partition) and even when I try off a USB it doesn't work

Here's what I've tried:

Cloning my laptop HDD (System doesn't boot, states no bootable media found)

Converting to GPT

Converting to MBR 

Using unallocated space

I really am Stuck for ideas now. Its driving me crazy and Im thinking about taking it into a store and asking them to install windows onto the disk for me. Anyone have a solution / ideas?

just follow the guide in my signature.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

16 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

just follow the guide in my signature.

paul's hardware also did a good video how to install a os after you wipe and reformat the drive- 

ik it say 5 things with a NEW build, but it's really mostly how to install the OS

linus sex tips

1 hour ago, wii8cookies said:

paul's hardware also did a good video how to install a os after you wipe and reformat the drive- 

ik it say 5 things with a NEW build, but it's really mostly how to install the OS

It skips everything about drivers and where to get your install media from...  It just tells you that you need to do it, but doesn't really show how to do it.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE