Make a public IP static?

iCantThinkOfAName
3 minutes ago, iCantThinkOfAName said:

Hello,

I am looking to make my public IP static for free.

How can I do this?

You will have to contact your internet provider, they are the ones who control your IP

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

Just now, Redsun20 said:

You will have to contact your internet provider, they are the ones who control your IP

Alright, I've seen from googling that there are other ways but I can't seem to get to work, does something like tunnelbear change the public ip?

Contact your ISP. Some may not allow consumer connections to be static, though. 

If they do not allow it, you may want to look into Dynamic DNS. 

As @Redsun20 said, your ISP holds the key to this.

However, you can use a service like dyndns. This will give you a proper URL to type and when configured, your computer/router would communicate with their servers so whenever yopur public IP changes, your URL for your home network will still resolve properly.

When in doubt, re-format.

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Contact your ISP. Some may not allow consumer connections to be static, though. 

If they do not allow it, you may want to look into Dynamic DNS. 

Noip seems to have a dynamic dns. Do you know if it's any good?

1 minute ago, iCantThinkOfAName said:

Noip seems to have a dynamic dns. Do you know if it's any good?

Yep, NoIP works. You can also use places like DynDNS and duckDNS

Depends on your ISP. Sometimes you can just call and request this. Sometimes you need a business account to do it.

I know charter is more lenient with this.

I hear ATT just doesn't care about offering this service. lmao but I could be wrong

Best you can do is call and ask. But I know once I called charter to request 5-15 Static IP's and I had to pay for Block IP.

Which means each IP would run in sequence. So idk if I payed for static IP's or if I paid to have them all next to one another.

usually they keep your IP the same until a static request comes along, then they bump the next guy that not static. and assign you that IP, then set it to static. So i think your just getting a switch toggled on your account, but IDK. Sorry I didn't actually answer your question. I know its possible though.

As I type this, four replies pop up! lmao They know much more than me about that stuff. lol

just to confirm again that to obtain a static IP you would have to contact the ISP to request them make your IP static.

if it's a cable modem they'll most likely bridge the modem and your router will then have a public IP that won't change

if it's DSL then most likely there will be a PPPoE setup being done that will require you to put in a username and password that the ISP will provide and if your router supports it you would have to input all the settings to 1) enable PPPoE and 2) put in the correct information so that you can connect/authenticate

both have the same end result and may (some don't) incur extra cost to you as ISPs generally don't like to do this unless this is for a business.

a dynamic DNS setup would most likely be the way to go so that your IP won't matter. As others have answered that with some services that i would have mentioned i'll just leave that one alone.

cheers!