Asrock X99E-ITX ECC DDR4

Actually, just wanting to continue an old thread I found here:

But I posted on there and haven't had a response there yet; trying the other approach.

copypasta:

Do you think that any ECC DDR4  ram would work [with this mobo and Xeon]?

I'm wanting to see if this ram:

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/crucial-32gb-1x-32gb-ddr4-2133mhz-ecc-dimm-memory-ab81048

(it's the cheapest)

would work with this Xeon processor:

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/intel-xeon-e5-1650-v4-processor-intel/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_ads&gclid=Cj0KEQiAhs3DBRDmu-rVkuif0N8BEiQAWuUJr5rNM7zF1d6YeHlwAIFzwL86aFgceeF4bBor4uZJxRYaApY58P8HAQ

(cheapest 6core Xeon above 3ghz I could find)

Just bought an ASRock x99e itx and want to 'future resist' it for a while starting with a single 32gig stick and then throwing in another 32gigs later.

Just a general question too; is there any disadvantage in going for a Xeon 6 core over an equally clocked i7 6 core (lga2011-3)?  Basically, the only reason I'm looking at the Xeon's is for the ECC ram compatibility.

Cheers!

Straya.

19 minutes ago, Tytealeus said:

Cheers!

Straya.

From what I can see this combination of components is compatible.

For next time, spec sheets are your friend, They can be found by looking for the motherboard on the naufacturer's website, and looking for the cpu on the manufacturer's website (In this case intels very good ARK database)

The other resource a lot of us use is partpicker

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/

Well xeons are normally meant for video rendering or transcoding i should say or basic company server use. Depends what it is. 

The geek himself.

8 minutes ago, slightlyjaded said:

From what I can see this combination of components is compatible.

For next time, spec sheets are your friend, They can be found by looking for the motherboard on the naufacturer's website, and looking for the cpu on the manufacturer's website (In this case intels very good ARK database)

The other resource a lot of us use is partpicker

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/

Thanks mate - partpicker is useful.

Yeah, while the manufacturer did list Xeon compatibility, it didn't specify ECC ram compatibility.

3 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Well xeons are normally meant for video rendering or transcoding i should say or basic company server use. Depends what it is. 

Say, these two in particular.

https://ark.intel.com/products/92994/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-1650-v4-15M-Cache-3_60-GHz

https://ark.intel.com/products/94189/Intel-Core-i7-6800K-Processor-15M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz#@specifications

Well I guess the only difference would be is the non overclocking ability 

The geek himself.

Just now, Tytealeus said:

Thanks mate - partpicker is useful.

Yeah, while the manufacturer did list Xeon compatibility, it didn't specify ECC ram compatibility.

- Dual Channel DDR4 Memory Technology
- 2 x DDR4 DIMM Slots
- Supports DDR4 3200+(OC)*/2933(OC)/2800(OC)/2400(OC)/2133 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
- Supports non-ECC RDIMM (Registered DIMM)
- Supports DDR4 ECC, un-buffered memory/RDIMM with Intel® Xeon® processors E5 series in the LGA 2011-3 Socket
- Max. capacity of system memory: 32GB (with Core™ i7 CPU) or 64GB (With Xeon® CPU)*
- Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) 2.0
- 15μ Gold Contact in DIMM Slots

Sorry, I meant specific ram modules, like, brands and model numbers.

3 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Well I guess the only difference would be is the non overclocking ability 

Which one can't be overclocked?

2 minutes ago, Tytealeus said:

Xeon

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, Tytealeus said:

Xeon. I think the last overclocking xeon was skulltrail.

The brand of ram doesn't matter, they all conform to the standard that they list. So if it's non ECC memory you're limited to 32 GB. If you're using ECC and a xeon (both are required for this) You can use up to 64GB

Please note that if you change your mind and use another motherboard, you'll have to look for both xeon, and ECC ram compatibility to use this.

Edited by slightlyjaded
Cause words.

2 hours ago, Tytealeus said:

But I posted on there and haven't had a response there yet; trying the other approach.

copypasta:

Do you think that any ECC DDR4  ram would work [with this mobo and Xeon]?

I'm wanting to see if this ram:

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/crucial-32gb-1x-32gb-ddr4-2133mhz-ecc-dimm-memory-ab81048

(it's the cheapest)

would work with this Xeon processor:

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/intel-xeon-e5-1650-v4-processor-intel/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_ads&gclid=Cj0KEQiAhs3DBRDmu-rVkuif0N8BEiQAWuUJr5rNM7zF1d6YeHlwAIFzwL86aFgceeF4bBor4uZJxRYaApY58P8HAQ

(cheapest 6core Xeon above 3ghz I could find)

Just bought an ASRock x99e itx and want to 'future resist' it for a while starting with a single 32gig stick and then throwing in another 32gigs later.

Just a general question too; is there any disadvantage in going for a Xeon 6 core over an equally clocked i7 6 core (lga2011-3)?  Basically, the only reason I'm looking at the Xeon's is for the ECC ram compatibility.

Cheers!

Straya.

They both support ddr4, but what are you trying to build here? But the max ram on the board is 32 gigs

3 hours ago, slightlyjaded said:

Xeon. I think the last overclocking xeon was skulltrail.

The brand of ram doesn't matter, they all conform to the standard that they list. So if it's non ECC memory you're limited to 32 GB. If you're using ECC and a xeon (both are required for this) You can use up to 64GB

Please note that if you change your mind and use another motherboard, you'll have to look for both xeon, and ECC ram compatibility to use this.

Xeon E5-16xx V1 through 3 were.

22 hours ago, Paula_The_Butter_Fairy said:

They both support ddr4, but what are you trying to build here? But the max ram on the board is 32 gigs

If you read the old thread you'll see that with a Xeon cpu, the board managed two 32gig ECC sticks of ram totaling 64gigs.  But with a non-Xeon the most you can apparently get is 32gigs (2x16gigs).  Maybe when there are non-ECC 32gig sticks they'll work with a non-Xeon, but that's just speculation.

On 1/12/2017 at 9:24 PM, Tytealeus said:

If you read the old thread you'll see that with a Xeon cpu, the board managed two 32gig ECC sticks of ram totaling 64gigs.  But with a non-Xeon the most you can apparently get is 32gigs (2x16gigs).  Maybe when there are non-ECC 32gig sticks they'll work with a non-Xeon, but that's just speculation.

ok thanks I was really confused