Laptops for office

Hey everyone, so I need good affordable options on laptops for office use, I need to give my employees new laptops for work, it's mostly office, Web design and databases, so nothing I would call heavy, would like an i5 if possible for the multitasking, I'm trying to stay around $300- $400, not crazy enough to be buying razer blades for everyone :cough: Linus :cough:. What would yall recommend?

Just now, Miguel552 said:

Well, how do those new m3 compare to last gen i3? I didn't really understand Intel's move withthe renaming.

me neither - but, you could look into lenovo refurbished thinkpads - i know thinkpads generally tend to be a bit overpriced, but you need something with at least 16gb of ram for your server ppl if they are doing windows server, sharepoint, nosql, or using angular js and other stuff to build web apps - i have 32gb of ram for my office setup and i sometimes use a good 80 percent of it while running lengthy queries, updating dbs, and other stuff like that, for web design, i think any half decent laptop would do, so focus your money more on the server people and the programmers building apps or web apps

10 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

http://outlet.lenovo.com/outlet_us/ website is here - although for some reason their laptops page seems to be broken

It's nothing big like that, they'll do with 4-8GB RAM, there's dedicated machines for all that, just need something the employees can access and input information into the database in our own software, basically just like a program that we use internally. 8GB ram and 128GB Disk Space should be good to go, just worried about the processor, don't want an m3 stuttering with a few chrome tabs open or a couple of programs.

Edit: I was even considering Chromebooks but can't do everything needed on Chrome OS, need windows.

Edited by Miguel552

6 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

It's nothing big like that, they'll do with 4-8GB RAM, there's dedicated machines for all that, just need something the employees can access and input information into the database in our own software, basically just like a program that we use internally. 8GB ram and 128GB Disk Space should be good to go, just worried about the processor, don't want an m3 stuttering with a few chrome tabs open or a couple of programs.

i5 should be fine - i still have a hp i5 3210m laptop around that i sometimes use when my thinkpads are busy compiling to do personal stuff - it cost 500 dollars in 2012 - something similar with 8gb ram and an i5 3rd gen or newer should be perfectly fine for 10 or more chrome tabs while running webstorm or atom.io or a vm with windows server and visual studio 

9 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

i5 should be fine - i still have a hp i5 3210m laptop around that i sometimes use when my thinkpads are busy compiling to do personal stuff - it cost 500 dollars in 2012 - something similar with 8gb ram and an i5 3rd gen or newer should be perfectly fine for 10 or more chrome tabs while running webstorm or atom.io or a vm with windows server and visual studio 

Question is which laptop? haha I wouldn't mind 2 or 3 gets old, but I would like them to not be refurbished.

42 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

Hey everyone, so I need good affordable options on laptops for office use, I need to give my employees new laptops for work, it's mostly office, Web design and databases, so nothing I would call heavy, would like an i5 if possible for the multitasking, I'm trying to stay around $300- $400, not crazy enough to be buying razer blades for everyone :cough: Linus :cough:. What would yall recommend?

Your best bet is to call Dell, HP, and Lenovo and tell them... I have 5 employees and I'm willing to spend $2500, what do you got for me?

Then look at the three options and see what you like the most.  You'll be surprised what you'll get as a B2B customer.  I think those are the only 3 B2B OEM's I'd consider.  Almost anyone else isn't interested in B2B.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

21 hours ago, Miguel552 said:

Question is which laptop? haha I wouldn't mind 2 or 3 gets old, but I would like them to not be refurbished.

AS @JefferyD90 said, calling those 3 manus would be a good choice or emailing them - sometimes microsoft will actually do these sales on their products page - just ask in live chat - 

26 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

AS @JefferyD90 said, calling those 3 manus would be a good choice or emailing them - sometimes microsoft will actually do these sales on their products page - just ask in live chat - 

Problem is, I need to get 1 first to get it approved, can't get just 5 and see what happens. So once I have one and if they like it and approve it, I can get more, I don't think they'll make any deals for 1 with a promise of maybe more later. I feel ever since Chromebooks came back, the lower spectrum of the laptops has gone.

1 hour ago, Miguel552 said:

Problem is, I need to get 1 first to get it approved, can't get just 5 and see what happens. So once I have one and if they like it and approve it, I can get more, I don't think they'll make any deals for 1 with a promise of maybe more later. I feel ever since Chromebooks came back, the lower spectrum of the laptops has gone.

You're making the decisions.  I mean its not like they get a choice...  And if they do, tell them you can go route A (the route I suggested) or route B (they all get $400 and they can get whatever they want).

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

know what the pros do?

Reformat our old crapy laptop and give it to them. THEN we pick up the new one. $400 he isn't ranked higher than you. He can't say anything.

IF you said $1500 then you need a new one lol.

9 hours ago, JefferyD90 said:

You're making the decisions.  I mean its not like they get a choice...  And if they do, tell them you can go route A (the route I suggested) or route B (they all get $400 and they can get whatever they want).

I think you got me confused, I'm getting it for my employees but I still need the green light from my boss, I'm just a manager. So I am getting for the ones under me, but I need to run it by the higher ups first.

6 hours ago, NA_NotAvailable said:

know what the pros do?

Reformat our old crapy laptop and give it to them. THEN we pick up the new one. $400 he isn't ranked higher than you. He can't say anything.

IF you said $1500 then you need a new one lol.

Haha that's just mean.

1 hour ago, Miguel552 said:

I think you got me confused, I'm getting it for my employees but I still need the green light from my boss, I'm just a manager. So I am getting for the ones under me, but I need to run it by the higher ups first.

Haha that's just mean.

then i would just call up a smaller manu like lenovo and ask there - you could run the specs by your employees and see if they like it - no one will just send out 1 for a cheaper price if the total order is for 5 laptops

1 hour ago, gtx1060=value said:

then i would just call up a smaller manu like lenovo and ask there - you could run the specs by your employees and see if they like it - no one will just send out 1 for a cheaper price if the total order is for 5 laptops

Yeah, I'll just get my bosses to do $500 for each, there's a lot of better options in that price and see how that goes. 

2 hours ago, Miguel552 said:

Yeah, I'll just get my bosses to do $500 for each, there's a lot of better options in that price and see how that goes. 

at that price, i recommend 4th gen i5 and 8gb ram - older thinkpads that lenovo wants to clear out should be around that price range

11 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

at that price, i recommend 4th gen i5 and 8gb ram - older thinkpads that lenovo wants to clear out should be around that price range

How can I look into those older models? I don't even know where to start looking for gen 4 or anythinget beside amazon, but that's all mixed stuff.

Edit: is there a "discontinued" place in the manufacturer's website?

9 hours ago, Miguel552 said:

Haha that's just mean.

Why don't you ask them what they want?

Spoiler

7 hours ago, Miguel552 said:

How can I look into those older models? I don't even know where to start looking for gen 4 or anythinget beside amazon, but that's all mixed stuff.

Edit: is there a "discontinued" place in the manufacturer's website?

those models wouldn't be on the manus site, it would be on 3rd party sellers like newegg, but you could email or call different manus and ask them if there are any older models they still have left and would be willing to sell to a business at a discount