Help controlling fanspeed

Armakar

I have 2 sets of fans. 

My chassis fans are plugged into a fanhub which go into CPUFan1. I use MSI control center to control these and it works fine

However my RAD fans are plugged into a splitter which go to CPUFan2. Can't control them, they stay at 100%. I don't want to plug them into the hub because I want to contorl them seperatley.

AFAIK, sysfans can't be controlled bvery easliy either.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

11 minutes ago, Armakar said:

I have 2 sets of fans. 

My chassis fans are plugged into a fanhub which go into CPUFan1. I use MSI control center to control these and it works fine

However my RAD fans are plugged into a splitter which go to CPUFan2. Can't control them, they stay at 100%. I don't want to plug them into the hub because I want to contorl them seperatley.

AFAIK, sysfans can't be controlled bvery easliy either.

You should have full PWM temperature control with the 2 cpu headers, and dc control on the 3 system headers.  Try setting them from your bios maybe the windows software is malfunctioning.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

What fans and splitter are you using?

Which fans are you having trouble controlling through the sys_fan headers?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On some mobos CPU_FAN and CPU_FAN2/OPT are controlled with same controller chip onboard. That means that second CPU header follows first.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

18 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What fans and splitter are you using?

Which fans are you having trouble controlling through the sys_fan headers?

Just using a 2 way fan splitter that came with my H100i V2. Trying to controll the h100i V2 fans, which are plugged into a splitter that go into CPU1.

Main Rig

4 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

On some mobos CPU_FAN and CPU_FAN2/OPT are controlled with same controller chip onboard. That means that second CPU header follows first.

When I change CPU2 fan's speed it works and changes the fanhub's speed - doesn't affect CPU1 at all

Main Rig

14 minutes ago, Armakar said:

When I change CPU2 fan's speed it works and changes the fanhub's speed - doesn't affect CPU1 at all

So now it works...? Those rad fans are 3pins, right? MSI has bit of a thing where you can't lower 3pins under 60% with their own software. Its possible with Speedfan.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

19 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

So now it works...? Those rad fans are 3pins, right? MSI has bit of a thing where you can't lower 3pins under 60% with their own software. Its possible with Speedfan.

No, it doesn't work, i'll explain again

Case fans are hooked up to my fanhub (3pin) which plugs into CPU-1 and I can change them to 25% which is all fine and dandy. 

Radiator fans are plugged into a 2 way 3pin splitter which plugs into CPU-2  - can't change anything, not even to 90%.

Main Rig

45 minutes ago, Armakar said:

Case fans are hooked up to my fanhub (3pin) which plugs into CPU-1 and I can change them to 25% which is all fine and dandy. 

Radiator fans are plugged into a 2 way 3pin splitter which plugs into CPU-2  - can't change anything, not even to 90%.

Ok, I think I got it. You had typo earlier to confuse me.

Has BIOS option to set CPU_FAN2 to DC mode instead of PWM? Because manual hints it might have. The issue (which is stated in manual, btw) is that you have PWM mode with the header where you have 3pins connected. So any changes you make are for for PWM control. Since (again, referencing from manual) PWM supplies constant 12V to fans and adjustments are done with amount of pulses, DC/3pin fans run at full speed no matter what you change.

Spoiler

Gotta say I'm happy to read manual for this issue. It will help me in future when troubleshooting issues with PWM headers.

Edited by LoGiCalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, Armakar said:

The cpu_fan headers are pwm and will supply a constant 12v signal. 3pin fans using DC will run at 100% with 12v. If you want to control the rad fans, plug them into a different header. 

What motherboard do you have?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.