Best CPU for rendering and 3d modeling/animation?

What would be the best CPU for 3D modeling and rendering? Don't suggest the X series from Intel, because that's too much money. My budget just increased to 2500$, so I can fit an X99 Motherboard and a 2011-3 CPU. I was thinking of getting the I7-6850K with the MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon. I intend to fully overclock the CPU, but I think the be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 with an additional fan should cool it just fine as I won't water cool.

I want something that can really handle any 3D modeling and animation software I throw at it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

8 minutes ago, QuantumElement said:

-snip-

The 6850K is quite a good CPU, but you do need a pretty solid GPU as well (Used for viewport performance).

1 minute ago, scottyseng said:

The 6850K is quite a good CPU, but you do need a pretty solid GPU as well (Used for viewport performance).

Yeah, I'll be getting the GTX 1070 Strix from ASUS. I'll be overclocking that as far as it can. Would get a 1080, but I can't fit that into my budget unless I get rid of some others stuff I can't/won't get rid of.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

2 minutes ago, QuantumElement said:

Yeah, I'll be getting the GTX 1070 Strix from ASUS. I'll be overclocking that as far as it can. Would get a 1080, but I can't fit that into my budget unless I get rid of some others stuff I can't/won't get rid of.

Yeah, a 1070 works fine. I have both a 980 Ti and a 1070, the 980 Ti is faster, but uses more power.

Be sure to be pretty patient with overclocking. I've had my 980 Ti survive furmark / MSI kombustor overclocked, but on iray (GPU Renderer) it crashes the GPU. I had to back down my settings even more to get stable on iray (I'm not sure what it does that pushes the GPU so hard).

Check your software first and build around that accordingly if you want a PC just for this purpose of rendering/animation. It might be better to get a 1080 and cut on the CPU if the Rendering Software can utilize the GPU to render scenes.

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X | MoBo MSI B550 Gaming Plus | RAM 32GB Teamgroup @3600/18 | GPU EVGA RTX 3070 Ti FTW | Case Enthoo Pro M SE
PSU bq! Straight Power 11 Plat. 750W CM | Cooling Scythe Fuma 2 & 5x Corsair ML140 | Sound SB Z Retail | Storage Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
Display(s) Iiyama GB3461WQSU, Dell 24", LG 34UM95 | Keyboard Kinesis Freestyle Edge | Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | OS Windows 11

Yeah, a 1070 works fine. I have both a 980 Ti and a 1070, the 980 Ti is faster, but uses more power.

Be sure to be pretty patient with overclocking. I've had my 980 Ti survive furmark / MSI kombustor overclocked, but on iray (GPU Renderer) it crashes the GPU. I had to back down my settings even more to get stable on iray (I'm not sure what it does that pushes the GPU so hard).

I am going to be spending a lot of time configuring the PC to my liking. Overclocking will probably take the most amount of time.

1 minute ago, Questargon said:

Check your software first and build around that accordingly if you want a PC just for this purpose of rendering/animation. It might be better to get a 1080 and cut on the CPU if the Rendering Software can utilize the GPU to render scenes.

It's not just a rendering/animation PC. It'll also be used for extensive gaming. I'll get a 1080TI when I have the money (Because by the time I have the money for one it would've been already released :P)

2 minutes ago, QuantumElement said:

-snip-

What do you use to render? Depending on the renderer, you might be focusing more on CPU or GPU power. To me though, a 1070 with a 6850K is quite a good pair.

Also, some GPU renderers don't have pascal support (iray on 3DS Max currently).

What do you use to render? Depending on the renderer, you might be focusing more on CPU or GPU power. To me though, a 1070 with a 6850K is quite a good pair.

Also, some GPU renderers don't have pascal support (iray on 3DS Max currently).

Currently, I am using Maya. I'll render in Mental Ray or in Arnold. Batch rendering will be something I do often. This pretty much just uses the CPU. I also use Autodesk: Inventor, which uses a combination of GPU and CPU. Later down the line, I'll be using Autodesk 3DS and possibly other AutoCAD software as well as photoshop for texturing.

AutoCAD software aside, I'll be playing a lot of CPU intensive games, like Space Engineers, Battlefield 1, Cities: Skylines with many mods...

Would the Dark Rock Pro 3 be able to cool an Overclocked 6850k fairly well? The only water-cooler I'll consider is the X52 Kraken.