Help me with a Z270 Motherboard

Hi everyone,

I'm going to build a new gaming PC with a i5-7600k processor but am unsure which motherboard to purchase to go along with it. I am not sure how they vary; do they have more ports, are they faster, does it come down to consumer loyalty?

These are the ones I am considering from a shop (note: cost is in Australian Dollars, not US)

ASUS PRIME Z270-AR / ASUS STRIX Z270F / Z270E $249/289/339

Gigabyte Z270-GAMING K3 / Z270X-GAMING K5 $259/299

Gigabyte Z270X-GAMING 5 / Z270X-GAMING 7 $339/409

MSI Z270 PC MATE / SLI PLUS / KRAIT $199/249/279

MSI Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON / GAMING M5 $289/329

ASRock Fatal1ty Z270  GAMING K6 / PRO4 / EXTREME4 $279/$185/$239

I know I've show quite a few options, but I am looking to save as much money as possible. I apologise for being a noob; I've started learning about PC's just a few days ago. I just don't know why these prices differ and which to choose. Thanks in advance, and enjoy the new year!

Pretty much every board will perform the same, the determining factors are really looks, features, and quality. If you don't need any specific features, I would just go for the Z270 PC Mate since it's the cheapest and looks sleek

and yes, more expensive boards tend to have more extensive I/O but if you need more USB ports you can always get a hub

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

1 minute ago, Octavialicious said:

Pretty much every board will perform the same, the determining factors are really looks, features, and qualities. If you don't need any specific features, I would just go for the Z270 PC Mate since it's the cheapest and looks sleek

Thanks for the response. So the speed doesn't change, and the ports are all the same? I will be runing a wireless card from a PCI-e slot.

Budget boards will have worse sound and fewer ports, and also will support only crossfire if it at all. 

Try get ALC 892 with the USB ports you want and good looks and youre good. There's no real difference between modern mobos

That's an F in the profile pic

If you wanna save as much money as possible, go with the cheapest option ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 PRO 4. A motherboard is a motherboard, and it will work regardless. Personally i've not had to bother too much with my motherboard, so even a cheap one is ok

Motherboard choice is 90% personal preference as they will all do pretty much exactly the same.

Personally I'd only ever use Asus or MSI boards, Gigabyte if I had no other choice and I'd never use EVGA or Asrock.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Krigga said:

Thanks for the response. So the speed doesn't change, and the ports are all the same? I will be runing a wireless card from a PCI-e slot.

Nope, maybe with a top tier board you can squeeze out an extra .1 GHz if you overclocked both but in general you will never be able to see a difference

The expensive boards have more I/O but you honestly don't need it. The PC Mate has more than enough PCI-e slots for your GPU and the wireless card :) 

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

1 minute ago, Krigga said:

Ports may differ (USB/SATA) but otherwise it's basically the same except audio, crossfire/SLI and looks. Get a cheapish mobo. You can buy a mobo that comes with wifi too, but those are more expensive

That's an F in the profile pic

2 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

Nope, maybe with a top tier board you can squeeze out an extra .1 GHz if you overclocked both but in general you will never be able to see a difference

The expensive boards have more I/O but you honestly don't need it. The PC Mate has more than enough PCI-e slots for your GPU and the wireless card :) 

Thanks for the quick response. Much appreciated.

Just now, Krigga said:

Thanks for the quick response. Much appreciated.

np, good luck with the build! If you ever have any more questions feel free to shoot me a PM

2 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Ports may differ (USB/SATA) but otherwise it's basically the same except audio, crossfire/SLI and looks. Get a cheapish mobo. You can buy a mobo that comes with wifi too, but those are more expensive

That's what I figured. I'm trying to limit costs because I'm already having to take money out of my bank account if you know what I mean :(

If you are building a gaming pc then go with msi z270 m5 or m7 gaming motherboard. Its just perfect .