Can't Detect Hard Drive (Can on BIOS)

BlakeThePCScrub
Go to solution Solved by xwboy,
Just now, BlakeThePCScrub said:

Ok the HDD is there, it says

disk 1

basic

1863.02 GB

However there is a black line? It also states in the box that it is unallocated? Any idea on how to make it default?

All that means is that the OS can detect the disk. The black line means it isn't ready to use. What you need to do is right click in the box where it says it is unallocated then click new simple volume. Go through the wizard that pops up, making sure to assign it a drive letter. When the option comes up, click "format this volume with the following settings" and select NTFS and Default, give it a name, check the box that says "perform a quick format". Click finish and you're good to go. 

I have installed windows 10 64b onto my SSD (240g) and am now trying to prioritise downloads to my HDD.

The problem is after looking everywhere I could the only "storage" showing up is my SSD, however when I go into the bios it states I have sata 1 240gb and sata 2 2000.3gb.

The drive fan is also going so I doubt it's just "faulty"

I also had the option to install windows onto the HDD. 

I have gone into settings, storage and all it says is 160gb ssd...

Any help?

Go to disk manager. Is the HDD formatted and ready to use? There should be two disks listed: the SSD and the HDD. If both are ready to use then they should have blue lines over their information. If they aren't, the line will be black.

6 minutes ago, xwboy said:

Go to disk manager. Is the HDD formatted and ready to use? There should be two disks listed: the SSD and the HDD. If both are ready to use then they should have blue lines over their information. If they aren't, the line will be black.

disk 1

basic

1863.02 GB

However there is a black line? It also states in the box that it is unallocated? Any idea on how to make it default?

disk 1

basic

1863.02 GB

All that means is that the OS can detect the disk. The black line means it isn't ready to use. What you need to do is right click in the box where it says it is unallocated then click new simple volume. Go through the wizard that pops up, making sure to assign it a drive letter. When the option comes up, click "format this volume with the following settings" and select NTFS and Default, give it a name, check the box that says "perform a quick format". Click finish and you're good to go. 

3 minutes ago, xwboy said:

Does the name matter? Can I make it HDD? What will I use the name for? 

Sorry just checking...

Thank you for all of your help btw!

Does the name matter? Can I make it HDD? What will I use the name for? 

Sorry just checking...

Thank you for all of your help btw!

The name is just what it will show up as under This PC. It can be whatever you want. I'm glad I could help!

3 minutes ago, xwboy said:

The name is just what it will show up as under This PC. It can be whatever you want. I'm glad I could help!

Seriously though, thanks for your help! 

I have used a mac for 4years and all of this is completely new to me :)

I'm glad this community is so straight to the point and not judgemental. 

Have a nice day.

7 minutes ago, BlakeThePCScrub said:

Seriously though, thanks for your help! 

I have used a mac for 4years and all of this is completely new to me :)

I'm glad this community is so straight to the point and not judgemental. 

Have a nice day.

We were all in your situation at one point. This is a great place to go if you need help. You have a nice day as well.