Hdmi-less TV connect to NAS

Hi all!

I have a Samsung TV from 2010 I own which has HDMI ports that no longer work (thanks to my old housemate...Anyway).  I have found that my synology nas can connect to the TV by dlna...Which works great using an Ethernet adaptor.

I want to know if there's any kind of Chromecast like controls that work over dlna where I can have a cleaner play/stop and selection of files than the built in Samsung setup.

I know it's an older TV and the big, rather odd, restriction I have is no HDMI.. which takes away from the whole experience I know I could have if could simply use Kodi/xbmc/Blu-ray player/console/PC...Sigh.

There's no help as far as smart apps on this model (Samsung's 1st smart TV) - Ua46c7000.

Any ideas on how to improve on simple dlna without HDMI?

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

I lost you at "HDMI ports that no longer work (thanks to my old housemate...". How does someone just destroy a bunch of HDMI ports on a TV? USB killer for HDMI?

1 minute ago, mpsparrow said:

83ac12dd3906c2c782e53de382e8b521.jpg

Hahahaha... Yes... Pretty much.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

5 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

83ac12dd3906c2c782e53de382e8b521.jpg

Hahahaha... Yes... Pretty much.

1 minute ago, mpsparrow said:

How do you display things on your TV if there is no HDMI?

Samsung have this app called Allshare which has a web browser and dlna file manager type listing.. the USB port works and broadcast works.. just no HDMI...Samsung looked at found a fried board inside but don't have replacement parts

Cookie Cutter Build log

I am sorry for the loss of your HDMI ports, and quite amused by how they died. Unfortunately, all DLNA does is allow one device to browse and view the files of another, meaning that all playback controls are handled by your TV. The only possible alternative would be to use the "Play To" feature of DLNA, where from a computer on the same network on the TV you right click on a file and choose "Play to (name of TV or dvd player, etc) and the computer sends the file to the device for playback. You'll have to research this yourself though, because I haven't ever seen instructions for how to make it work reliably.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Good suggestion.. I'll look into it, though I think that's a Chromecast feature which this TV doesn't and cannot have..lol

Cookie Cutter Build log

The problem with Chromecast devices is that you would need an HDMI port. Perhaps it is worth just looking into getting a new TV. You could either get a smart one that has more control built in, or you could get a Chromecast, Kobi, Raspberry Pi, etc. to hook up to a non smart tv and get a nice media center.

17 minutes ago, silencerbob said:

Good suggestion.. I'll look into it, though I think that's a Chromecast feature which this TV doesn't and cannot have..lol

No "Play To" is a core feature of DLNA - Microsoft added it way back with Windows Vista. It is supposed to be easy to use with any DLNA TV or other client device, key word being "supposed"

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

7 hours ago, mpsparrow said:

How does someone just destroy a bunch of HDMI ports on a TV? USB killer for HDMI?

New trend, anyone? I can see Linus trying this.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

16 hours ago, Jamiec1130 said:

New trend, anyone? I can see Linus trying this.

Not on his new OLED hahah

Cookie Cutter Build log

Just now, silencerbob said:

Not on his new OLED hahah

I would watch that.