Wifi Extension Solution

namarino

The router located on the first floor in my home network has a lot of trouble transmitting a healthy signal to the devices on the second floor. I have a spare router that I hope to use as some kind of repeater. Basically what I want to do is have all the devices on the first floor connect the main router on the first floor. I have a powerline adapter on the second floor and would like to use my other router to transmit that signal to the second floor. But I don't want to create another network. I just want that router to be an extension of my existing network. I would also like to run ethernet from the router on the second floor to a couple of devices nearby. It would also be convenient for devices to roam seamlessly between the two. Can someone tell me how I can achieve this? Thanks so much.

7 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Using the second router as an access point, while it creates another Wi-Fi network, can connect and talk to devices on other Wi-Fi networks. Otherwise you'll have to use a Wi-Fi repeater.

Is there a way that I could set it up so that roaming devices automatically connect to whichever AP is closest? And can I name them both the same thing?

20 minutes ago, namarino said:

Is there a way that I could set it up so that roaming devices automatically connect to whichever AP is closest?

http://superuser.com/questions/195816/can-i-automatically-connect-to-the-strongest-wifi-network-under-windows-7

The third post should have your answer. Currently on a computer that doesn't have WiFi so I can't verify this.

And can I name them both the same thing?

No, because if they overlap, it will create contention. (EDIT: don't count me on that, since Wi-Fi networks may generate a UID anyway)