CRobb66

So I just built a new pc, 2 weeks ago. 

Intel I7 6700K

MSI Z170A Gaming M5 Mobo

Zotac 1070

16gb ddr4 memory

525gb ssd

Corsair CX750M

So my issues are, I am getting odd download speeds, testmy(12mb) speedtest(70mb) comcasttest(123mb), now I go to the other pc in the other room, testmy(49mb) both speedtest and comcasttest are 120+mb.

So my question is, is there a setting in my motherboard I need to change perhaps? Cause I got new updated router/modem combo today from comcast, they did all sorts of tests, etc. A new cat cable as well. So I am

totally lost as what to do, which speed is right? 12mb(testmy), 70mb(speedtest), or 123mb(comcast) Any advice is welcomed, thank you.

I would check to make sure you have latest NIC drivers for your MB.

To truly test the speed of you internet, download something on steam, and a then a big download from microsoft, google or apple.  That will give you a better idea of your true internet speeds. 

Windows Updates says I have none, all up to date. is there a way I can specifically check for my motherboards ethernet? @Konrath

6 minutes ago, CRobb66 said:

Windows Updates says I have none, all up to date. is there a way I can specifically check for my motherboards ethernet? @Konrath

Go to MSI webpage here: https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-GAMING-M5.html#down-driver and select your OS.  After that look for your NIC drivers there and compare the version to what you have right now.  Go to Device Manager and look at "Network Adapters" to determine what driver version you currently have installed.  Let me know if you need any more help.

@konrath, thanks for the link. I downloaded the most recent drivers, now I truly am not an idiot, lol, but theres no .exe with these drivers to install them. 

All I get is , 

6cf5bdcd25.png

902e33113c.png

these are the only 2 files for my windows 10, and the 2 files inside the folder. 

There should be a Setup file in the folder WIN7810_1.1.57.1125 when you download the On-Board LAN Drivers.

these are the only files I get, and in none of them is there an .exe files. 

9661f477c5.png

Are those the only folders you see in the zip folder that you downloaded?  I see those files but they're further in the directory.  WIN7810_1.1.57.1125>Drivers>Production.

I do not see any other folders, all I see is when I open up the downloaded files, with Winrar, all I see are those 6 files. Man whatever happened to making things easy?....lol

Right Click the ZIP and choose "Open With..." and choose File Explorer.  See if it shows any different.  Winrar might be pulling up the Production folder for you by default.

Just the same files. I see no .exe in any of the folders, win7, win8 or win10. Well I'm not sure what to do, never ran upon this before. 

yes, I did just the driver. I had no need to reinstall the Killer Network I figured.

here is what it looks like when I open it up from winrar.

91c8ad283a.png

and then when I open the folder, KillerNetwork.

9f6f8a6aea.png

Not sure why yours is downloading _inf.zip.  This is what I'm getting...

Killer Network Folder.png

anyway you can rar that exe to my email by chance for the windows 10   64x ??  schmackdaddy3@hotmail.com

or can you zip what you downloaded.... i think its totally different then mine, somehow.

okie, so I did the new drivers, on google chrome, the speeds are the same, but If I use Firefox, my speeds are 120mb+ on 2 of the 3 tests, lol. Doesnt make sense to me, but I will just roll with it I guess. Thanks for the help @Konrath, appreciate it.