Home Network layout Help

Gear: PF sense router with AC range AP and connect to two switches

Switch one Gaming consoles PS4 xbox etc and smart tv

Switch two gaming rig, linux/plex server, (also linked with dual 10gb fiber cards for transfers gaming rig to server only)

Problem:

I would like to add another server/OS that i can safely download and quarantine files to until I wish to move them to my Media Server. Where should I place this one in my network

(I was thinking of moving the fiber NIC to this one since the largest files would happen between these two)

Suggestions

I was thinking about that so a higher core processor to handle the transcoding and VM yeah?

Just now, Bmoney said:

I was thinking about that so a higher core processor to handle the transcoding and VM yeah?

what system is the media server running? You can probably run it on the current system just fine.

Building that too looking at a 4 core i5 or an old Xeon I can get cheap.ABout 32GB of ECC ram

3 minutes ago, Bmoney said:

Building that too looking at a 4 core i5 or an old Xeon I can get cheap.ABout 32GB of ECC ram

How about this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-C2100-FS12-TY-2x-2-13GHz-QC-L5630-12GB-RAM-NO-HDD-SAS-6iR-/171816856699?hash=item2801152c7b:g:C88AAOSw-0xYY~~5?

Then id put the fiber card in it as well as make and daisy chain them.

May I also ask Linux, FreeNAS, or Windows Server 2012 I am familiar with linux and window server.  But FreeNAS features look awesome and I would be able to put the VM in it

Which seem the best route?

Wow yes that looks like a beast for my situation what a steal too. 

7 minutes ago, Bmoney said:

May I also ask Linux, FreeNAS, or Windows Server 2012 I am familiar with linux and window server.  But FreeNAS features look awesome and I would be able to put the VM in it

Which seem the best route?

FreeNAS/FreeBSD doesn't do vms well

What drives/storage?

Id personally run linux unless there is a reason you need windows server.

I want option of a email server but in all reality I need to be honest with myself and know i would never set that up. I want to do 4-5 WD reds 3tb in raid Z2.

Just now, Bmoney said:

I want option of a email server but in all reality I need to be honest with myself and know i would never set that up. I want to do 4-5 WD reds 3tb in raid Z2.

If your running that server, You have a hardware raid, don't use ZFS. ALso you have to chagne the raid card if you want driver over 2tb.

Id install linux and use kvm for vm's. Run the storage on the host.

49 minutes ago, Bmoney said:

Gear: PF sense router with AC range AP and connect to two switches

Switch one Gaming consoles PS4 xbox etc and smart tv

Switch two gaming rig, linux/plex server, (also linked with dual 10gb fiber cards for transfers gaming rig to server only)

Problem:

I would like to add another server/OS that i can safely download and quarantine files to until I wish to move them to my Media Server. Where should I place this one in my network

(I was thinking of moving the fiber NIC to this one since the largest files would happen between these two)

Suggestions

Your quarantine can be done with BSD jails or the various alternatives on linux without the VM overhead. A router has very low requirements, people buy celeron fanless systems and cheap laptops to run pfsense. Im running it on a very low end celeron based laptop because it was cheaper than an embedded system and came with a AP wireless card & storage

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Schischka on linux what way would I do that without a VM? I like the idea of not splitting my machine resources.