Changing laptop screen

diabloj

Hi,

A friend of mine changed the inverter to fix his laptop screen a few weeks ago, and he said that he could easily have replaced his entire screen if he wanted to.

Now, my question is if I can change my laptop screen (Elitebook 8470p) to another laptop screen, from another laptop, like the Dell XPS 14.

Why would I want this? Because the Elitebook 8470p uses a crappy TN screen, and I really want an IPS screen.

The only real problem I see with this is the hinges, but there may be a solution, or?

Thank you for any feedback :)

(also, please move this thread if it's in the wrong section. )

Main rigg: AMD Phenom II 1090t @ 4.0GHz | AMD Radeon HD 6950 ASUS Crosshair IV Formula NZXT Switch 810 Coolit C240 A.L.C.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 8470p + Samsung 830 240GB

HiFi: Laptop(foobar) -> Halide Design HD DAC -> Sansui SAP201V -> Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand (or DT 770) 

nope dont think so becaus you would need a screen that is the same size and has the same holes for the hinges 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Probably not... then again I don't know much about laptops

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

Hi,

A friend of mine changed the inverter to fix his laptop screen a few weeks ago, and he said that he could easily have replaced his entire screen if he wanted to.

Now, my question is if I can change my laptop screen (Elitebook 8470p) to another laptop screen, from another laptop, like the Dell XPS 14.

Why would I want this? Because the Elitebook 8470p uses a crappy TN screen, and I really want an IPS screen.

The only real problem I see with this is the hinges, but there may be a solution, or?

Thank you for any feedback :)

(also, please move this thread if it's in the wrong section. )

It would be possible with modification, however I wouldn't recommend it as the work required would exceed the value of the laptop in 9/10 cases. Changing a laptop screen to an identical replacement screen is easy enough as panel width, mounting holes and inverter setup is already in correct placement. To change it to another screen would require making custom mounting holes, ensuring inverter setup is correct (and placement) as well as making sure the panel width would allow the bezel to be replaced (or making new bezel and backing), this combined with variance in power draw which may have a negative impact on already terrible battery life of most laptops would be enough reason alone for myself not to bother however if you wish to try go wild just do your research first.

i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz (1.240v) || Asrock extreme 4 || CM Hyper 212 evo

Samsung 840 || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb || Powercolor 7870 xt @ (1200 mhz core : 1500 mhz mem)