Looking for headset, could use some advise.

JackalJ

As the title suggests I'm looking for a new headset. Currently I own a Razer Megalodon and after years of use it's going a bit... well it's slowly dying I guess.

Now I have searched the forum a bit, some topics don't have any responces, some have some suggestions but I still don't know which headset to choose. There are, after all, al ot of brands with a lot of different types of headsets. 

Now something I would like to make sure the new headset has, is great audio quality. I have some Sennheiser earbuds, actually I had 2. the first were the CX 5.00i, the cable was damaged (the copper threads were comming out of the cable insulation.) and apparently wasn't part of the warranty (within the first year after I bought them). The second pair of Sennheiser earbuds were the Momentum ones. I must say that the CX had a better bass to them but the momentum were a lot 'clearer' to listen to. Lets just say the difference was very noticeable and while I missed the bass in the beginning. I have come to love the Momentum earbuds as well.

So my first thought was to check out Sennheiser's offer on headsets. And again, a lot of different types of headsets. So after reading some comparisons, and top 10 lists of headsets. 

I still have no idea which headset would be a good choice.

Are there people here who could give me some advice and recommendations.

I'm looking for: great audio quality, build quality and comfort. Preferable nothing to 'gamey' looking.

Note about the Razer Megalodon: It does have a 2.0 and 7.1 mode, but I barely touched the 7.1 mode. (Even though it could be helpful in games.

2 minutes ago, zfrnz said:

I would go Audio-Technica all the way man. ATH-M50x's are amazing.

I also had some turtle beaches a long time ago and they were pretty good. I don't remember the model. Not as good as far as audio quality, but if you want a built in mic then they're a pretty easy way out.

Edited by zfrnz

Thanks, I was already looking at Audio-Technica. Heard they were very good indeed. And couldn't really decide if Audio-Technica or Sennheiser would be serious 'contenders'.

That said I don't know how good those headsets are, considering they brands make professional audio gear. (which tells me the sound and built quality are most likely good, but are they good for gaming? Most likely stupid question :/

I first was pointed towards the Audio-Technica ATH-ADG1X but that 300 dollars, so yeah.

I would like to have a mic on the headset

3 hours ago, JackalJ said:

Thanks, I was already looking at Audio-Technica. Heard they were very good indeed. And couldn't really decide if Audio-Technica or Sennheiser would be serious 'contenders'.

That said I don't know how good those headsets are, considering they brands make professional audio gear. (which tells me the sound and built quality are most likely good, but are they good for gaming? Most likely stupid question :/

I first was pointed towards the Audio-Technica ATH-ADG1X but that 300 dollars, so yeah.

I would like to have a mic on the headset

If I were you, I would buy headphones and then add an external mic, like the Modmic. Headphones that cost $100 would probably have the same audio quality as higher-end gaming headsets for less money, and then slapping on a modmic only adds another 50 bucks. (Note that the new Modmic 5.0 is more expensive than the 4.0 and might be worth it to some people but on a budget the 4.0 would work in a pinch.)

Edit: sort of an exaggeration about the headphone/headset thing but you get what I mean. The other option is to get a headset from an audio company rather than a "gaming" product company. Sennheiser and Audio Technica have headset options. 

Welcome to Maryland. 

We have crabs.