New GPU or CPU

I wonder if I am suppost to buy a new GPU or CPU. I am playing CS:GO, GTA 5 and H1Z1 and I would like to get more fps in those games. I have right now Evga GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0 and a Intel Core i5 4670K water cooled and both of them are 1 and a half years old and I wonder what I should upgrade to reach more fps. Thanks!

the best way to check this is by checking your gpu usage and cpu usage during those games, whichever reaches 100% the most is the one you should upgrade.

Haswell is still pretty capable so the most notable results you would see is by upgrading your GPU first.  While GTX 970 is no slouch, a GTX 1070 or higher would definitely increase FPS.  I agree you should run MSI Afterburner to see utilization.  A GTX 1060 6GB would give you about GTX 980 level performance so upgrading to Pascal is certainly beneficial.

9 minutes ago, tlink said:

the best way to check this is by checking your gpu usage and cpu usage during those games, whichever reaches 100% the most is the one you should upgrade.

In this case the GPU is to upgrade. Though the CPU will limit a GTX 1070 in some games so I'd look for anything up to that point.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

16 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

In this case the GPU is to upgrade. Though the CPU will limit a GTX 1070 in some games so I'd look for anything up to that point.

yea i also assumed it was (but i really wasn't sure) but hey now they know how to find out in the future too :P 

he has a 970 which runs csgo at around 200-300 fps on 1080p so if he wants an upgrade I suggest a new CPU if its water cooled he can also get a pretty nice overclock

While the CPU may bottleneck your GPU (1070/1080) in some games, unless they are more CPU intensive than GPU. Go with the GPU since it will cost you less in the future, since future upgrades like switching to ether AMD Ryzen or Skylake/Kabelake, will cost you to upgrade your mobo and ram.