New Gaming/Content Creation Rig (UK/£1200)

HenryChatwin

Greetings humans, I'm currently a student here in the United Kingdom, studying Video Game Production, and I've been looking to build a new PC that will be able to handle the kinds of content creation workloads that I will run into and also stream/play games in the meantime. Thanks in advance for any help provided.

1. Budget and location.

My budget for the new pc is around £1200, not realistically being able to go over without running the risk of starving to death in the next 4 months, and I'm from the UK (South, for a more specific area)

2. Aim

As stated in my opening paragraph, I'm just looking to build something that can handle rendering workloads as well as streaming games in my off time from studying. Typically I play MOBA's most of the time though I've got half of a steam library that I can barely use due to not being able to run most of the games on medium at native res.

3. Monitors

I currently only have one monitor running at 1920x1080, however I would like to expand to two monitors both at 1080p in the future to increase my productivity, or maybe decrease...

4. Peripherals

I already have all the peripherals I believe I need as I'm running off of a 21/2 to 3 year old PC so the budget is going 100% on building the PC.

5. Why are you upgrading?

So my currently PC is running on a nearly 3 year old AMD FX-6100 @3.6GHz, and I'm not risking OC'ing it as it already runs at far too high of a heat constantly, a borrowed GTX750Ti 2GB and 16GB of 1333MHz RAM, I've used the computer near constantly for the time that I've had it and so many of the parts are doddering on a little now that they're past their manufacturer's warranty. <full parts list here>

I'm not totally inexperienced with Building PC's and I've been watching LTT for a good couple of years, so I'm building the PC myself with the assistance of my housemate (Who has built PC's in the past)

I've done some research myself and come up with a List of parts that as far as I could tell will work fine in conjunction with one another and provide decent expand-ability for the future if I were to upgrade my GPU or go for SLI at some point.

One thing to note is that the cost of Windows is not included in the price as it is supplied by my university free of charge.

All prices are from amazon.co.uk as they generally had the cheapest solutions and their customer service has always been good for me.

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£315.95)

Noctua NH-D9L 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler (£42.95) - I searched around for a good cooler under 155mm (to fit in my chosen case) and this was the only one I could find that was reasonably priced. Was recommended to me to not bother with a single 120mm fan water cooler for the 6700k while I wasn't going to overclock it.

Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£133.98)

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£105.97)

WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD (£45.95) Plans to introduce an SSD to the system ASAP though it seemed fair to compromise here in order to save money.

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 (£399.93) This is the main thing that I'm totally unsure on, without having a great deal of knowledge between the different 1070's I'm just wondering if there's a better option for graphics card (Not intending to downgrade or upgrade this to 1060/1080 but if there's a better aftermarket 1070 I'd like to know. Only about £40 lenience however.)

Aerocool Aero-500 ATX Mid Tower Case (£35.00) Chose this case as it is a very inexpensive Mid Tower Case that seems to provide enough ventilation to deal with the hardware that I'd like to install.

Corsair CXM 650W Semi Modular ATX Power Supply. (£60.99) This is another thing I'm not too up-to-date on, 650W seems like it might be overkill for a 1070/6700k though I intend to keep this rig for a fair amount of time so wanted something with expand-ability.

Try not to be nasty if I've actually been a total moron or put this in the wrong area, PcPartPicker hasn't thrown up any incompatibilities, however space within the case isn't something it does to well with so if you notice anything that doesn't seem like it'll fit, give me a shout.

pcpartpicker link

Any Help is appreciated, looking to buy in around two or three week's time. Thanks for reading if you got this far :)

Henry.

I can make something better out of it

Spend a little extra for the power supply and get an EVGA G2/G3 or Corsair RMx 

There's one above your post and now mine below, don't shitpost.

1 minute ago, pradhyumn rathod said:

lol no replies 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

If you want to save some money, get a non oc-able mobo and cpu, maybe the i7 6700 and idk what mobo

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

Bam! Fitted in a 1080. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£315.95 @ Amazon UK) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  (£49.25 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£103.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: ADATA XPG Z1 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (£69.84 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£39.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: Palit GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GameRock Video Card  (£569.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Other: Case (£35.00)
Other: Corsair CX550M (£49.50)
Total: £1233.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-28 16:22 GMT+0000

5 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

If you want to save some money, get a non oc-able mobo and cpu, maybe the i7 6700 and idk what mobo

I'd been considering the 6700, non OC, though it's not a great deal cheaper and plan on OC'ing in the future. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Bam! Fitted in a 1080. 

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  (£49.25 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£39.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: Palit GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GameRock Video Card  (£569.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Other: Seasonic S12II 520W power supply, very good (£53.46)
Total: £1237.46
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-28 16:19 GMT+0000

I'm personally a little worried about dropping below 600W for the PSU, just from personal experience mine's degraded in its capacity,

As for the graphics card, I was wanting to get the 1080, though I'm not going to be running games any higher than 1920x1080, at least for a while, at which point I'll probably splash out to whatever the current flagship card is, however I'll definitely keep it in mind as the prices could change a fair bit in the coming weeks in January sales and such, Thanks! :)

Just now, HenryChatwin said:

I'm personally a little worried about dropping below 600W for the PSU, just from personal experience mine's degraded in its capacity,

As for the graphics card, I was wanting to get the 1080, though I'm not going to be running games any higher than 1920x1080, at least for a while, at which point I'll probably splash out to whatever the current flagship card is, however I'll definitely keep it in mind as the prices could change a fair bit in the coming weeks in January sales and such, Thanks! :)

A 550w is enough for a single 1080 and even OC. There is nothing I should worry much. But I agree that it might be overkill for that.

8 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Bam! Fitted in a 1080. 

Other: Corsair CX550M (£49.50)
Total: £1233.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-28 16:22 GMT+0000

you sort of  cheaped out on other stuff, like  i woudl atleast have a ssd @ 1200 dollar build, and you dont need a 1080, he would be fine with a 107 0

MF UH BEANS

1 minute ago, aries757 said:

you sort of  cheaped out on other stuff, like  i woudl atleast have a ssd @ 1200 dollar build, and you dont need a 1080, he would be fine with a 107 0

I did not cheap out, I read what OP said :D

Plans to introduce an SSD to the system ASAP though it seemed fair to compromise here in order to save money.

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

i mean i guess its  just me but you chose the lowest running ram which is cheaper, got a toshiba hard drive which you would always gt a wd, but it is a good build either way :)

MF UH BEANS

6 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

5 minutes ago, aries757 said:

i mean i guess its  just me but you chose the lowest running ram which is cheaper, got a toshiba hard drive which you would always gt a wd, but it is a good build either way :)

Both valid points, I'd prefer the security of higher speed ram for the future, as it seems that GPU's are the thing that turns over quicker than others, meaning they'll last a bit longer than the other parts. Thanks for the input though :) EDIT: Or the other way round even...

Just now, HenryChatwin said:

Both valid points, I'd prefer the security of higher speed ram for the future, as it seems that GPU's are the thing that turns over quicker than others, meaning they'll last a bit longer than the other parts. Thanks for the input though :)

was talkin to dex, but np :)

MF UH BEANS

1 minute ago, HenryChatwin said:

Both valid points, I'd prefer the security of higher speed ram for the future, as it seems that GPU's are the thing that turns over quicker than others, meaning they'll last a bit longer than the other parts. Thanks for the input though :) EDIT: Or the other way round even...

RAM speed doesn't make much difference for usage tbh. But yeah

Build looks mostly good, changed a couple things

Added a much needed SSD (if you want to buy some storage now, buy the SSD first so you don't have to reinstall Windows again)

Upgraded cooling for the same price

Cheaper motherboard

Cheaper RAM that's still reasonably fast

Changed the 1070, I would never buy Gigabyte if I can help it

The Thermaltake Supressor F31 is just the best value for a case, it's basically a straight copy of the Fractal Define S

Fractal PSU is better and rated 80+ Gold.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£315.95 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Macho Rev.B 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler  (£44.70 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£103.98 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (£105.97 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: SK hynix SL308 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£71.65 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£45.95 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Palit GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GameRock Video Card  (£381.96 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Thermaltake Suppressor F31 ATX Mid Tower Case  (£57.78 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Edison M 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£53.40 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1181.34
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-28 16:33 GMT+0000

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

19 minutes ago, Energycore said:

-snip- (use it  with long ass comments like these)

noice

MF UH BEANS

1 hour ago, deXxterlab97 said:

RAM speed doesn't make much difference for usage tbh. But yeah

It does with Skylake.

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

Build looks mostly good, changed a couple things

Added a much needed SSD (if you want to buy some storage now, buy the SSD first so you don't have to reinstall Windows again)

Upgraded cooling for the same price

Cheaper motherboard

Cheaper RAM that's still reasonably fast

Changed the 1070, I would never buy Gigabyte if I can help it

The Thermaltake Supressor F31 is just the best value for a case, it's basically a straight copy of the Fractal Define S

Fractal PSU is better and rated 80+ Gold.

This looks really good, I personally haven't heard of Palit as a company myself so I steered clear from their cards, are they essentially just as good as any other 1070? Though to be fair I don't know if there's a huge difference between any 1070.

EDIT: For instance maybe the ASUS Dual card, just where I feel like I know the brand more (Amazon Link)

19 minutes ago, HenryChatwin said:

This looks really good, I personally haven't heard of Palit as a company myself so I steered clear from their cards, are they essentially just as good as any other 1070? Though to be fair I don't know if there's a huge difference between any 1070.

EDIT: For instance maybe the ASUS Dual card, just where I feel like I know the brand more (Amazon Link)

Since all 1070s overclock about the same, the only two things I look for in a Pascal card is build quality and cooling power. The Gamerock cooler is one of the best out there and competes with the higher end ones like the Strix or Gaming X

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR