Strange Network Problem

PhilGoodInc

Hi all,

I seem to be having a weird problem with my network. Specifically with 2 PCs and file sharing. The network setup is correct, as it works when it both my PC and the Laptop are connected to the same router and Wireless network, whether it is my current D-Link DIR-890L and "DLINK" access point name, or my backup Cisco RV220W router with "Cisco". It does not work when both are connected to the Netgear Cable Modem/Gateway which is provided by my ISP, and it's stock Network name. Both computers have internet access and behave normally until I try to access the files and get this message.

"Windows cannot access \\NICK" (name of laptop)

This seems to be a hardware issue or a Modem/router setting I may have overlooked. Any tips on what to look for and where? Would my ISP have disabled file sharing on the modem/router?

have you tried Using the ip and not the name?

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

That allowed me to see the folders shared from my PC while on my laptop, but access was not allowed. ("everyone" allowed to access files on my network)

When I tried to access the laptop from my PC I kept getting a login form which didnt work with the laptop credentials. 

In 6+ years, I have not had this much trouble with file sharing on the network. Its driving me crazy.

the problem with the connection between the routers might be fighting DHCP servers or different ip ranges

try to put .\ infront of the username it advises the remote computer too look in his user directory

USER: .\user 

PW: lsfhsdkjhfj