Problem with ASUS Router

Jubsi

I noticed a problem with my router and I wanted to know if anybody has a solution or tips for me.

My ASUS Router DSL-AC68U randomly disconnects some Users.

I experienced this problem when connected via WiFi and Ethernet (note that I use a powerline to connect via ethernet. So no direct connection)

For the affected user it looks like it is still connected (in Windows not even the no internet warning shows up, on android devices it does though)

and it is not even possible to access the administration panel (192.168.1.1)

With the ethernet connection it is most of the time enough to simply unplug and plug it in again. (Sometimes that does not do the trick)

With the wireless connection I have no other way than to reboot the router.

Things I have tried to fix the issue:

• reset the router to it's default configuration
  • update the firmware

I suspect that the problem might come from the windows settings for the power management of network devices.

(If I remember correctly windows can power down a network device that it considers ''idle" or something like that)

Not sure if android has a similar setting, but if not then the problem lies elsewhere.

I cannot recreate the problem at will. It just randomly happens and it's annoying.

If more information is needed I am happy to privide them.

Thank you in advance and happy holidays :D

Are the cables in good shape (so if you hook a machine up with a known good patch cable (short cable) can you recreate the problem?)

Is there other networking gear involved?

-> Switches

-> Something else that acts as a DHCP server

-> Another router on the same network

You could try to find out if the problem is something with the router or something with the communication between the router and the network by trying the following (you could at least slightly narrow down where the problem is)

1. Make up a IP that is inside (at the end of) or outside of the DHCP pool, something like 192.168.1.200 will most likely do;

2. On a windows system, go to the Network and Sharing Centre (center for US ;p) and go to the networking interface that is hooked up to the router;

3. Click properties (you need administrator rights on the machine to do this!)

4. go to the IPv4 settings (click properties)]

Now:

Set your IP to the IP we made up earlier, and be sure to fill out the rest of the fields correctly too.

So something along the lines of: (see image)

Should do for you 

click OK (or whatever) until all windows are gone again, and test for a long time again, see if you get the same issue, or if it is resolved (you can also use another DNS server, the DNS server I provided you with is the google dns server (London))

a876.PNG

Armed with Google, I can take on the world*

*:Hopefully

There are no other networking devices included. I only have the router and a few end devices (Desktops, Laptops, Phones, etc.)

The Desktops are connected via ethernet (note that there is a powerline inbetween)

All other devices are connected to either the 2.4 or 5 GHz network.

The cables are definitly not the problem (I used a few different ones even self crimped ones)

It could be the Powerline itself (TP-Link TL-PA4010PKIT AV500)

But that won't explain why the problem also occurs on wireless connections.

I will directly connect a device to the router and tell you the results tomorrow.

As I have said I cannot recreate the problem at will.

The desktop devices are already connected in 2 different ways.

One has an IP address from the DHCP Pool and the other one has a static IP(On Router: MAC and IP address Binding)

I will change the setting in windows as well and see what happens.

One other thing. I figured the DNS can't be the problem since i cannot connect to 192.168.1.1 whenever the problem occurs.

The problem still persists. Since I still have warranty I will send it back and see if it was a defective unit.