What mid range gpu to get

loiveli
Go to solution Solved by loiveli,

Now looking at the prices from some German and UK stores, the Finnish prices from cdon look actually quite competitive so i think this about wraps it up as i think i will be buying this: http://cdon.fi/kodin-elektroniikka/sapphire-radeon-rx-480-nitro-oc-8gb-2xhdmi-2xdp-dvi-p38543252 

Hello. I haven't been active here in a while but as my trusty r9 280x has been showing some signs of weakness lately in some modern games such as forza horizon, i thought now would be a great time for a gpu upgrade. Lets lay out the basics first:

1. I live in Finland, so anything from here would be great but I think that if its easy enough, other countries could be an option as well with cheap shipping.

2. I have a budget of ~250€ and my rig right now is this: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/qxTFCJ

3. I have a freesync monitor i bought as i got it for very cheap, even cheaper than any non freesync 144hz, so an amd gpu would be great. but if nvidia can provide more value then i will go for that.

There have been couple of cards i have looked into, rx 480 4gb for 254€ or the 8gb for 280€ if the jump is worth it, one other option that i have been looking into is a 3gb 1060 for 240€.

So which one should i get or should i wait for rx490 and save some more money for that? Also if you have any other suggestions feel free to express those

Disclaimer: sorry for any mistakes or overall Stupidity, im just a human afterall

3 minutes ago, loiveli said:

Hello. I haven't been active here in a while but as my trusty r9 280x has been showing some signs of weakness lately in some modern games such as forza horizon, i thought now would be a great time for a gpu upgrade. Lets lay out the basics first:

1. I live in Finland, so anything from here would be great but I think that if its easy enough, other countries could be an option as well with cheap shipping.

2. I have a budget of ~250€ and my rig right now is this: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/qxTFCJ

3. I have a freesync monitor i bought as i got it for very cheap, even cheaper than any non freesync 144hz, so an amd gpu would be great. but if nvidia can provide more value then i will go for that.

There have been couple of cards i have looked into, rx 480 4gb for 254€ or the 8gb for 280€ if the jump is worth it, one other option that i have been looking into is a 3gb 1060 for 240€.

So which one should i get or should i wait for rx490 and save some more money for that. Also if you have any other suggestions feel free to express those

Disclaimer: sorry for any mistakes or overall Stupidity, im just a human afterall

Rx480 8GB or 1060 6Gb, whatever is cheaper, although Nvidia has shadow play and a few nice features that and doesn't have, but depending on who you are those might not matter to you.

--- Purple Prime ---
i7 8700k + Hyper 212 Evo | MSI Z370 Gaming Pro CarbonG-Skill Trident Z 3000Mhz RGB 16GB | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti

Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black 2TB | Corsair RM850i | Fractal Design Define R4LG 27UD68-P | Logitech G502 + G910 | Windows 10 Pro

--- Proteus Server ---

AyyMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Asrock B450m Pro-4 | Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) | Sapphire RX570 NITRO+ 8GB

Crucial MX500 1TB + Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB + Seagate 1TB 2.5" + 5TB iDrive  | Windows 10 Pro (Temporary)

--- Camera Stuff ---
Canon EOS 77D | Canon EF-S 18-55 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM 
Zoom H5 + XY-5
Phone - Oneplus 6T

3 minutes ago, pbx2 said:

Rx480 8GB or 1060 6Gb, whatever is cheaper, although Nvidia has shadow play and a few nice features that and doesn't have, but depending on who you are those might not matter to you.

AMD now have Relive which is their version of shadowplay.

I'd go for the 8gb variant of the rx480.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

4 minutes ago, pbx2 said:

So you think the 30€ for the 4gb more is worth it? It feels to me that way but as im not sure how long i will stick with the 480 i might just go with the 4gb and upgrade a little sooner as i don't see 4gb being a bottleneck in the next ~3-4 years

2 hours ago, loiveli said:

So you think the 30€ for the 4gb more is worth it? It feels to me that way but as im not sure how long i will stick with the 480 i might just go with the 4gb and upgrade a little sooner as i don't see 4bg being a bottleneck in the next ~3-4 years

2 hours ago, RKRiley said:

AMD now have Relive which is their version of shadowplay.

I'd go for the 8gb variant of the rx480.

I saw some benchmarks showing that the 4GB less vram hardly makes any negative performance 

It's just that as myself I would want the more VRAM just because it might be used in the future.

--- Purple Prime ---
i7 8700k + Hyper 212 Evo | MSI Z370 Gaming Pro CarbonG-Skill Trident Z 3000Mhz RGB 16GB | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti

Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black 2TB | Corsair RM850i | Fractal Design Define R4LG 27UD68-P | Logitech G502 + G910 | Windows 10 Pro

--- Proteus Server ---

AyyMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Asrock B450m Pro-4 | Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) | Sapphire RX570 NITRO+ 8GB

Crucial MX500 1TB + Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB + Seagate 1TB 2.5" + 5TB iDrive  | Windows 10 Pro (Temporary)

--- Camera Stuff ---
Canon EOS 77D | Canon EF-S 18-55 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM 
Zoom H5 + XY-5
Phone - Oneplus 6T

But i think that rx480 is the one i will go with, for me its just down to if i go with 8gb or 4gb. Also how easy is it to buy computer parts inside EU as i have only bought them from Finland in the past and are the prices with shipping worth it?

2 minutes ago, pbx2 said:

I saw some benchmarks showing that the 4GB less vram hardly makes any negative performance 

Well yeah, unlike the 3 and 6gb variants of the 1060 where the performance is different, the 4 and 8gb variants of the rx480 have the same performance, they just have the vram difference.

I find in GTA V that with all maxed out settings, i can be using 4gb+ of my cards vram, so it depends what settings you'll plan to be playing it.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, pbx2 said:

It's just that as myself I would want the more VRAM just because it might be used in the future.

The thing for me is i don't think i will stick with this card for that long, around 5 years at max and the required gpu vram these days isn't even 3gb yet so i don't think the 4gb will be a bottleneck that soon.

Just now, loiveli said:

The thing for me is i don't think i will stick with this card for that long, around 5 years at max and the required gpu vram these days isn't even 3gb yet so i don't think the 4gb will be a bottleneck that soon.

I wouldnt be surprised if in 2-3 years, triple A titles start needing more than 4gb's of vram to be honest.

6 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

I wouldnt be surprised if in 2-3 years, triple A titles start needing more than 4gb's of vram to be honest.

Well looking at 2011-2016 in pc games, atleast my highly scientific method of comparing skyrim vs titanfall 2 System Requirements, the required vram has gone up from 0.5 gb to 2gb so something around 4gb of required vram in 5 years time looks quite plausible. I didn't even realize the vram requirement has grown that much. So from that i actually think i should go with the 8gb model instead.

Since you already have a Freesync monitor, there's no reason to consider buying an Nvidia GPU. The 4GB 480 has a slightly slower memory compared to the 8GB model and that's from where the performance difference comes, but it's not as large as the 6GB and 3GB 1060.

I'd suggest the 8GB RX 470 Nitro+ if you are on tight budget. You are getting the same memory as the RX 480 (running at 8GHz), but a bit less stream processors - it's faster than any other RX 470 out there and within a few percentages of the 8GB 480.. In my opinion it's more balanced and future-proof than the 4GB 480.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

But the main question i have is whether it is worth it to buy it from Finland or somewhere else, if there are people with experience on this, feel free to share that experience.

2 hours ago, Pandalf said:

Since you already have a Freesync monitor, there's no reason to consider buying an Nvidia GPU. The 4GB 480 has a slightly slower memory compared to the 8GB model and that's from where the performance difference comes, but it's not as large as the 6GB and 3GB 1060.

I'd suggest the 8GB RX 470 Nitro+ if you are on tight budget. You are getting the same memory as the RX 480 (running at 8GHz), but a bit less stream processors - it's faster than any other RX 470 out there and within a few percentages of the 8GB 480.. In my opinion it's more balanced and future-proof than the 4GB 480.

My budget isn't that tight, something like 280€ is still manageable but if there is a way to get it cheaper i would take it.

RX 480

On release, the 1060 was better but as expected the 480 got faster with driver updates, and there is more to come.
And! AMD now have their version of ShadowPlay called Radeon ReLive. It is greate!