What to upgrade?

Hi, I am looking to do a bit of upgrading of my PC that I built earlier in the year.

This is it : https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/tassmeister/saved/GYxH...

I am thinking of maybe getting an i5, or a cpu cooler or both? (is a cpu cooler necessary for an i3)

I also only have a 1600x900 monitor and want to buy a 1080p monitor though am not sure when I should do that.

Dont have the biggest budget as I am a student but I will save up i guess.

Basically just looking for your opinions on the build.

Also the games that I play are Watch Dogs, Rust, and The Forest. ( they all run perfectly fine atm, not on the highest settings though)

Thanks in advance

GTX 950 is not a perfect card for 1080. It would do it but not very strong. I would get i5. You don't need a cooler. Since you have an i3, you can go get OEM i5 (which is cheaper than regular i5) and reuse your existing cooler from i3

Also, how much can you spend? Why not a GPU upgrade?

rip

You got a budget for this plan?

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

I agree with @rip a GTX 950 will have a bit of trouble at 1080p especially paired with an i3.
You have two options really, you can get a GTX 1060 tier of card, or you can upgrade your CPU to an i5-6500 for example.

Upgrading your CPU won't yield as much performance gains as upgrading you card; However upgrading your card to a 1060 for example would bottleneck severely with that i3.

Also if you have any extra cash after doing this I'd recommend trying to get an SSD maybe on Boxing day or something? That will make your PC feel snappier overall (outside of games).

Edit: The i3 actually won't hold back a GTX 1060 at all (in most cases) so a GPU upgrade would be the best option. 

- Personal Rig -

AMD 7950X3D / 64GB G.SKILL DDR5-6000 EXPO / ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC
ASUS ProArt X670E / Noctua NH-D15 Corsair 4000D Airflow / Corsair RM1000x / 4 x 2TB Crucial P5 Plus

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-

MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3GB 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018
Seasonic Platinum 1000W 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018

PNY GTX 470 1280MB 🪦🫡 June 2010 - August 2017

Intel Q9550 / Q9450 Systems 🪦🫡 Q1-2008 - Q3-2016
- Desktop Audio Equipment -
ADAM Audio F7's | Topping D30 Pro | Topping A30 Pro | HD598 & HD6XX w/ Sheepskin Pads

4 minutes ago, KnightSirius said:

I agree with @rip a GTX 950 will have a bit of trouble at 1080p especially paired with an i3.
You have two options really, you can get a GTX 1060 tier of card, or you can upgrade your CPU to an i5-6500 for example.

Upgrading your CPU won't yield as much performance gains as upgrading you card; However upgrading your card to a 1060 for example would bottleneck severely with that i3.

Also if you have any extra cash after doing this I'd recommend trying to get an SSD maybe on Boxing day or something? That will make your PC feel snappier overall (outside of games).

A 1060 and i3 would not bottleneck severely. Sorry. It will but not severe

rip

4 minutes ago, rip said:

A 1060 and i3 would not bottleneck severely. Sorry. It will but not severe

You're right, I didn't realize it was a newer i3 either. I assumed it was an older model.
It will not be held back at all by this (in most cases), so GTX 1060 is definitely the way to go in this case.

- Personal Rig -

AMD 7950X3D / 64GB G.SKILL DDR5-6000 EXPO / ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC
ASUS ProArt X670E / Noctua NH-D15 Corsair 4000D Airflow / Corsair RM1000x / 4 x 2TB Crucial P5 Plus

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-

MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3GB 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018
Seasonic Platinum 1000W 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018

PNY GTX 470 1280MB 🪦🫡 June 2010 - August 2017

Intel Q9550 / Q9450 Systems 🪦🫡 Q1-2008 - Q3-2016
- Desktop Audio Equipment -
ADAM Audio F7's | Topping D30 Pro | Topping A30 Pro | HD598 & HD6XX w/ Sheepskin Pads

21 minutes ago, Arcanekitten said:

You got a budget for this plan?

Not exactly I was just going to save up for the parts over time, though I wouldnt want to go over $350ish 

29 minutes ago, rip said:

GTX 950 is not a perfect card for 1080. It would do it but not very strong. I would get i5. You don't need a cooler. Since you have an i3, you can go get OEM i5 (which is cheaper than regular i5) and reuse your existing cooler from i3

Also, how much can you spend? Why not a GPU upgrade?

I have never heard of buying OEM CPUs, are they widely available? 

I feel like my 950 is fine for the games that I play atm, but I will definitely upgrade in the future. 

Thanks for the response mate

20 minutes ago, KnightSirius said:

I'm not exactly sure how I would migrate WIndows over to the SSD though, I have heard I can be very complicated. Any ideas??

Thanks again for the response