wifi extension with pcie card

Falling1

I got new fiber internet a few days ago and the connection is dropping out all the time on wireless devices. Before the router was in 1. floor, now it's in 2. floor right above where it was. On my phone it says the connection is "bad" all the time with 0/3 bars on the wifi symbol. My desktop is currently using ethernet from the old router, but will be switched over to the fiber ethernet soon. When I get the fiber connection for my desktop I want to install a wifi card and use that as an access point for the fiber wifi. Can it be set up as an "extension" of the router so I can move seamlessly between 1. and 2. floor without being disconnected? Something like they do in schools? Would it still work if I put my desktop in sleep mode?

Would the ASUS PCE-AC68 AC1900 or the ASUS PCE-AC56 AC1300 work?

43 minutes ago, Jon1764 said:

What frequency are you currently using? 2.4 or 5 GHz. 2.4 is older and more prone to interference from neighbouring Wifi access points and cordless phones and microwaves, it has a much higher range and can penetrate walls/floors more easily. 5 GHz is newer, not everyone has it, has much smaller range and doesn't go through walls/floors that well, but has much higher speeds.

I am currently using an Asus AC56U router with the Asus PCE-AC56 wireless card. My router is in the basement directly 2 floors below me and I get usually a 3/5 or 4/5 connection strength. However if I go two rooms down the hall there is barely any signal.

Alternatively you could just wire 2 routers together, but you would have to find some way of connecting them together via LAN between floors. A wireless repeater would sound like a good solution, but you would lose half the speed.

I believe I'm using 2.4 GHz now on the old router, but I know the new fiber router has both 2.4 and 5 GHz. But if the wifi card shuts down when i turn my desktop to sleep it would be useless. If I connect a switch to the fiber box and then the routers to the switch, something like the picture. Would that work or do I have to ask someone else / new topic?

Screenshot_28.png