Network Planning Help

Random_nerd

Hi everybody

I'm looking for some advice on putting together a network for my house.

To start with:

• At the moment I have a single broadband line that maxes out at around 8 Mbps normally closer to 6 or lower
  • Getting the line faster isn't an option, I'm too far from the exchange for fiber and BT are adamant it's not going to get significantly faster anytime soon. Other ISP's don't want to know
  • A secondary VPN for work/sensitive stuff would be nice but not essential
  • The more speed down the better the number of lines is irrelevant if you can find a reasonable way to get them teamed (easier the better)
  • Running cables around the house is a non issue, I can make new runs + there's unused CAT 5e runs pretty much everywhere important
  • Multi user bandwidth throttling is important there's 5 or more people at home all the time and if they're here their always doing something
  • A building wide coverage for each SSID to allow me to move around the house without dropping connection for long enough to interrupt a stream or Skype would be great but not essential  

Here's the plan I come up with:

Spoiler

IMG_20161221_234951.jpg

and the Hardware I was planning on using:

So now my questions:

1. Will this stuff all work together in the way I've drawn out?
  2. Any recommendations for different hardware to give better performance or make my life easier when setting up and maintaining
  3. Which of the two assess points will be better I'm in a barn conversion with thick stone walls with no interference except that the other hot spots will make

1. What is the reason to have separate switch?  How many downstream ports you need?

2. I'd get a better router. With 8mbps it makes more sense, then with 20mbps. You'd want to do QOS and something for your VPN.

Personally, I'd suggest something like Mikrotik. Something like 2011 comes with 5 gig ports and 5 fe.  If you need faster - you can get a better model like crs125 with 24 gig ports.

I'd personaly get a Mikrotik AP's, since you can roam with mikrotik software and roam between em

That's pretty capable equipment: VPN, routing, policies and etc, so you can tune if you need that.

I'd not install that for enterprise, but for home use it works just perfect.

Get a gig managed switch with poe, it  just better and worth the extra.

get the ap ac pro, so you can use poe on the switch. thoes aps can have up to 4 ssids each.

h