Optimal Emulation pc on budget

Sir_TechMonkey
Go to solution Solved by Helly,
10 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

emulators don't need great GPUs though (for the most part, dolphin can get a tad intensive)

The 8350 is okay, but it's an eight core CPU, and an old one at that. Emulation is so heavily single-threaded that something like a G3258 would probably crush it

An 8350 is more then okay for emulation. I know for a fact dolphin is multithreaded, and even an rx460 is enough for any gamecube or wii games that are fully playable in dolphin, meaning no obvious bugs or problems.. of which there are many games now. You people overestimate the requirements of those old emulators which run far better then you might think.

i've run many wii and gamecube games with dolphin on an AMD 7700k APU both onboard graphics and a 7770 and they all ran perfectly fine. with just the default settings and 1080p no AA cuz who the hell needs AA seriously...

oh and TS, get a cheap 2nd hand 7970/280x or whatever you want from nvidia around that age and you'll be golden with any games you want to play at least on the dolphin side of things, never really played with pcsx(2) so can't speak for that but i don't imagine it being all that much heavier then dolphin...

Hello, I'm looking to build an emulation and movie rig in 2017... I'm here to ask what are the optimal parts, on my budget of £150? I  so far have the following parts: Fx-8350, 970-Ds3p mobo, 212 Evo and 8gb of ddr3 ram. (From an older build) Should I sell or keep the parts for the emulation PC and which parts should I get?

I will be mainly playing games from the ps2/1 and the Nintendo Gamecube/N64.

(edit)

After looking for parts a blueprint build:

• Fx-8350
  • 970-Ds3p mobo
  • 212 Evo
  • 8gb ddr3 Corsair lp
  • 1tb hdd (Used Free)
  • r9 270 (£50-70 Used make not decide)
  •  Aerocool integrator 500w (£30 New)
  • Cit 2206 black atx case (£19.25 New)
  • Operating system not decide
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.6  COOLER: Dark Rock 3 | MOBO: MSI Sli Plus Z170 | GPU: GTX 970 Ftw  | RAM: Crucial ballistix @2400MHz (16gb) (8GB) | SSD: ADATA SP550 (240GB) HDD: Seagate 1tb & 2tb  | PSU: Corsiar 600W | Case: Anidees crystal cuvbe lite Display 1x: Asus VG248QEKeyboard: Coolermaster Tk | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Sound: Blue Yeti Blackout,beyerdynamic dt 770 pro & Logitech z200

just get a gpu and you should be good. either a 6gb 1060 or 8gb rx48 i would say.

Nothing to see here, move along

You should be able to get away with integrated graphics for the PS2 emulator, but I could be wrong. 

1 minute ago, IAmLamp said:

You should be able to get away with integrated graphics for the PS2 emulator, but I could be wrong. 

you could but from my experience, and that of my brothers it isn't all that good settings wise, and pcsx2, and dolphin love more vram for them settings boosts.

1 minute ago, Riddler356 said:

you could but from my experience, and that of my brothers it isn't all that good settings wise, and pcsx2, and dolphin love more vram for them settings boosts.

True, but it's up to the buyer if they want to go the extra mile for it. I agree, the settings cranked up for anti aliasing is awesome, but the budget should be kept in mind. 

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

emulators don't need great GPUs though (for the most part, dolphin can get a tad intensive)

The 8350 is okay, but it's an eight core CPU, and an old one at that. Emulation is so heavily single-threaded that something like a G3258 would probably crush it

i only suggested those due to the budget and the cpu being plenty for the most part. but a G3258 would work as well.

1 minute ago, IAmLamp said:

I feel it is unlikely with that configure, to get a smooth 30-60 fps performance with the bugginess and poorly optimisation of emulations.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.6  COOLER: Dark Rock 3 | MOBO: MSI Sli Plus Z170 | GPU: GTX 970 Ftw  | RAM: Crucial ballistix @2400MHz (16gb) (8GB) | SSD: ADATA SP550 (240GB) HDD: Seagate 1tb & 2tb  | PSU: Corsiar 600W | Case: Anidees crystal cuvbe lite Display 1x: Asus VG248QEKeyboard: Coolermaster Tk | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Sound: Blue Yeti Blackout,beyerdynamic dt 770 pro & Logitech z200

7 minutes ago, IAmLamp said:

fx chips dont have iGPUS. i would suggest a 1050ti

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

3 minutes ago, Sir_TechMonkey said:

I feel it is unlikely with that configure, to get a smooth 30-60 fps performance with the bugginess and poorly optimisation of emulations.

I have a 4790K and it seems to do fine >.> (no gpu)

10 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

An 8350 is more then okay for emulation. I know for a fact dolphin is multithreaded, and even an rx460 is enough for any gamecube or wii games that are fully playable in dolphin, meaning no obvious bugs or problems.. of which there are many games now. You people overestimate the requirements of those old emulators which run far better then you might think.

i've run many wii and gamecube games with dolphin on an AMD 7700k APU both onboard graphics and a 7770 and they all ran perfectly fine. with just the default settings and 1080p no AA cuz who the hell needs AA seriously...

oh and TS, get a cheap 2nd hand 7970/280x or whatever you want from nvidia around that age and you'll be golden with any games you want to play at least on the dolphin side of things, never really played with pcsx(2) so can't speak for that but i don't imagine it being all that much heavier then dolphin...

I have no signature

2 minutes ago, PigWithAMustache said:

fx chips dont have iGPUS. i would suggest a 1050ti

I only have a budget of £150.  I need the case, power supply and storage. I plan to go used for a good amount of the parts.

Just now, Sir_TechMonkey said:

I only have a budget of £150.  I need the case, power supply and storage. I plan to go used for a good amount of the parts.

You also need a GPU. No GPU on the FX 8350

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

12 hours ago, PigWithAMustache said:

You also need a GPU. No GPU on the FX 8350

Yea, but I don't have to always go for the latest thing ... I can always buy/use 2-4-year-old GPU for a cheaper price and good performance for the games I want to play. Anyway that just my opinion.

After looking for parts a blueprint build:

• Fx-8350
  • 970-Ds3p mobo
  • 212 Evo
  • 8gb ddr3 Corsair lp
  • 1tb hdd (Used Free)
  • r9 270 (£50-70 Used make not decide)
  •  Aerocool integrator 500w (£30 New)
  • Cit 2206 black atx case (£19.25 New)
  • Operating system not decide

Any opinions on my blueprint build and do you think it can run ps2. e.g, shadow of the Colossus, Mgs3 and Nintendo games. e.g, Persona series and super smash brothers. If not so what should I change? I want a smooth 30-60 fps at least.