SMB multi channel help

jason61

i have a windows server with a nic teamed conection of 9 ethernet cables capable of 9 GB/s all together (in theeory) and a windows 10 desktop computer with 3 ethernet conections bridged together capable of 3 GB/s (in theory) but when i try to transfer files between the two systems i get a whoping... 5 MB/s. thats not even close to what it should be. both systems have ssd in them and the server has 10 GB of ram while the Desktop has 16GB of ram. is there a step i am missing to get faster transfer speeds?

Need to know more about the configuration, you say you have teamed 9 Ethernet cables?  What are you using for the teaming here?  I doubt you have a switch that has LACP enabled across 9 ports and driver based teaming would have problems with 9 adapters.

SMB Multi-Channel refers to the additional connection/threads available on SMB3.0+ which needs Windows 2012 R2 or above on the server side to be functional.

Can you provide more information

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

NIC teaming and SMB Multi-channel don't really go hand in hand, it can but they aren't designed to be used together (not really). Un-team the NICs, give them all their own IP addresses and start a file copy again. Use the powershell cmdlets to verify if a connection is using multi-channel or not.

Edit:

Oh and un-bridge the NICs on the Windows 10 computer, that's even worse. Again SMB multi-channel works across multiple independent NICs best.

On 12/20/2016 at 9:59 PM, jason61 said:

i have a windows server with a nic teamed conection of 9 ethernet cables capable of 9 GB/s all together (in theeory) and a windows 10 desktop computer with 3 ethernet conections bridged together capable of 3 GB/s (in theory) but when i try to transfer files between the two systems i get a whoping... 5 MB/s. thats not even close to what it should be. both systems have ssd in them and the server has 10 GB of ram while the Desktop has 16GB of ram. is there a step i am missing to get faster transfer speeds?

You seem to be mistaking MB with Mb. You have teamed 9 gigabit links, so each link can handle ~120MB/s. 120*9 connections=~1GB/s, not 9GB/s

My native language is C++