Should i get G-sync on 144hrz monitor?

Lethalmonk

Hey, So i am going to be purchasing a monitor with at least 1080p, 144 refresh rate at 24". My question for you is, is g-sync worth spending the extra money?

Monitor i am considering (all have no g-sync)

AOC - G2460PQU

Lg 24GM77 (im considering this one the most)

ASus Vg248qe

Of these, which would you get?

I wouldn't pay for Gsync especially considering Freesync doesn't add much cost at all. Speaking of which,

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/FZJkcf/acer-xf240h-240-144hz-monitor-umfx0aa001

Get this one

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

He might have an Nvidia card in which case freesnyc is not needed

No but in the case that OP doesn't want to pay for Gsync, might as well get a Freesync monitor so they can use adaptive refresh in the future. It costs nothing after all.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

You want Gsync, Freesync, and vertical sync off in all competitive games anyways so you don't need it at all. It's not just vertical sync that increases input lag; They all do. Just less with Free/G.

I'm assuming that you're playing competitive games if you're getting 144hz.

The syncs are for single player games where you crank all the settings to the max and chug at 60 fps or below. Tearing isn't noticeable at 144hz, so it's only a problem at lower fps's.

1 minute ago, CoolJ S.A.S. said:

You can have gsync on without v-sync being on though.

Gsync has input lag on it's own; Just less than vertical sync. It's the reason you see pro's with 144hz monitors and then all settings on low to get the most possible fps.

9 minutes ago, Paranoid Kami said:

What's with people assuming the use case for users today? You don't just get 144Hz for competitive games

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

He might have an Nvidia card in which case freesnyc is not needed

i do have an nvdia card

1 minute ago, Lethalmonk said:

i have a 1070, would it work with freesync?

It wouldn't :(

But you have the option next time you upgrade and it costs you nothing, so why not? The acer is pretty well built.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

30 minutes ago, Lethalmonk said:

Hey, So i am going to be purchasing a monitor with at least 1080p, 144 refresh rate at 24". My question for you is, is g-sync worth spending the extra money?

Monitor i am considering (all have no g-sync)

AOC - G2460PQU

Lg 24GM77 (im considering this one the most)

ASus Vg248qe

Of these, which would you get?

You know those stutters that sometimes happen when you use VSYNC? Its either that or screen tearing? Well, GSYNC solves that. Games feel smooth and don't tear at all.

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

24 minutes ago, Paranoid Kami said:

You want Gsync, Freesync, and vertical sync off in all competitive games anyways so you don't need it at all. It's not just vertical sync that increases input lag; They all do. Just less with Free/G.

The syncs are for single player games where you crank all the settings to the max and chug at 60 fps or below. Tearing isn't noticeable at 144hz, so it's only a problem at lower fps's.

Wait a second, you are talking as if FPS where a determined, capped thing. Yes, you don' notice tearing at 144hz, and gsync helps a lot when under 60fps, but what about the range between 60-144fps? That's where most people that use 144hz are playing at. In a game you might be hitting 75, on other you might be playing at 95-100. That's where gsync helps, matching your monitors refresh rate with the amount of FPS your GPU can deliver, that way you don't have to worry about hitting a specific amount of FPS. If you get a 144hz monitor WITHOUTH gsync/freesync, you will need to maintain a certain amount of FPS constantly if you want to avoid screen tearing, and i can't stress enough how annoying that is. 

And there are a lot of people with 144hz monitors that don't play games competitively.

4 minutes ago, Noirgheos said:

You know those stutters that sometimes happen when you use VSYNC? Its either that or screen tearing? Well, GSYNC solves that. Games feel smooth and don't tear at all.

I have a 1070. The only screen tear that is massive and noticable is on League. other fps games i do not notice it (if there is any). Im running a 60hz monitor

2 minutes ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

Wait a second, you are talking as if FPS where a determined, capped thing. Yes, you don' notice tearing at 144hz, and gsync helps a lot when under 60fps, but what about the range between 60-144fps? That's where most people that use 144hz are playing at. In a game you might be hitting 75, on other you might be playing at 95-100. That's where gsync helps, matching your monitors refresh rate with the amount of FPS your GPU can deliver, that way you don't have to worry about hitting a specific amount of FPS. If you get a 144hz monitor WITHOUTH gsync/freesync, you will need to maintain a certain amount of FPS constantly if you want to avoid screen tearing, and i can't stress enough how annoying that is. 

And there are a lot of people with 144hz monitors that don't play games competitively.

if i cap my fps in a game will i still experience it? im running a 1070.

2 minutes ago, Lethalmonk said:

if i cap my fps in a game will i still experience it? im running a 1070.

That's the point, while using Gsync, you don't need to cap your FPS at all. You can be hovering between 60 and 120, or 30 and 70, it doesn't matter, gsync will match your monitor's refresh rate to your FPS, avoiding screen tearing. 

Now, if you still want to cap your FPS, i'm not sure if you can, but still, why would you want to if you already have gsync/freesync?

48 minutes ago, Lethalmonk said:

I have a 1070. The only screen tear that is massive and noticable is on League. other fps games i do not notice it (if there is any). Im running a 60hz monitor

I have a 1080. I screen tear in everything without VSYNC on, unless my FPS is really high, like in Overwatch or CSGO.

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

46 minutes ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

That's the point, while using Gsync, you don't need to cap your FPS at all. You can be hovering between 60 and 120, or 30 and 70, it doesn't matter, gsync will match your monitor's refresh rate to your FPS, avoiding screen tearing. 

Now, if you still want to cap your FPS, i'm not sure if you can, but still, why would you want to if you already have gsync/freesync?

Because if you go over your GSYNC range, you'll get tears.

1 hour ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

2 hours ago, Energycore said:

What's with people assuming the use case for users today? You don't just get 144Hz for competitive games

What's with people writing this agenda driven nonsense over a single sentence without fully reading the persons post and understanding it? The main reason people get 144hz monitors is for competitive games and I made my post around that considering the original poster never specified his use case. I said in it that my post was around competitive games so the part that I was talking about wouldn't get confused with something else. I am fully aware that people could be at any fps at any game and I am fully aware that 144hz is worth it for open world single player games alone. I also specifically said ' Tearing isn't noticeable at 144hz, so it's only a problem at lower fps's', which is true. I even added a part saying that it would be useful at single player games since they're usually played at lower fps's.

3 minutes ago, Paranoid Kami said:

What's with people writing this agenda driven nonsense over a single sentence without fully reading the persons post and understanding it? The main reason people get 144hz monitors is for competitive games and I made my post around that considering the original poster never specified his use case. I said in it that my post was around competitive games so the part that I was talking about wouldn't get confused with something else. I am fully aware that people could be at any fps at any game and I am fully aware that 144hz is worth it for open world single player games alone. I also specifically said ' Tearing isn't noticeable at 144hz, so it's only a problem at lower fps's', which is true. I even added a part saying that it would be useful at single player games since they're usually played at lower fps's.

Maybe. Even then there's no reason not to get a monitor with Freesync since it doesn't cost more than a plain one and won't affect performance if the technology is turned off.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

33 minutes ago, Paranoid Kami said:

"Tearing isn't noticeable at 144hz, so it's only a problem at lower fps" My correction was aimed at that sentence. I said that even though tearing isn't noticeable at 144hz, it's almost impossible to maintain that framerate, the average player will be hovering under 144hz (That's if we exclude easy to run games like CSGO). Depending on where the FPS hover, you might have screen tearing, and that's the reason why GSYNC is so useful. 

10 hours ago, Paranoid Kami said:

ill be playing both comp and single player.

16 hours ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

"Tearing isn't noticeable at 144hz, so it's only a problem at lower fps" My correction was aimed at that sentence. I said that even though tearing isn't noticeable at 144hz, it's almost impossible to maintain that framerate, the average player will be hovering under 144hz (That's if we exclude easy to run games like CSGO). Depending on where the FPS hover, you might have screen tearing, and that's the reason why GSYNC is so useful. 

I did make another post that said pros used all low settings in order to keep their 144 fps. Anyways, whatever. Don't want to argue endlessly on the internet over small things like this. What matters is that the op got his question answered.

On 12/21/2016 at 6:35 PM, Paranoid Kami said:

I did make another post that said pros used all low settings in order to keep their 144 fps. Anyways, whatever. Don't want to argue endlessly on the internet over small things like this. What matters is that the op got his question answered.

Lol, im no pro and i dont expect to get 144fps. As time goes by and my gpu gets outdated, i will ultimitly be lowering my settings to reach a higher fps. I just wanted to know if g-sync was ultimitly worth it around that fps. Thanks