Win10 Server/NAS

cisto1999

Hi,

i want to build a little Win10 Server.

Hardware: Asrock J3160DC-ITX, 4GB RAM, 2 SSDs (silent operation).

Goals:

1) Storage - Backup for 3 other devices in my house (Linux and Windows) - i don t have a lot of data, but some things which are important for me - so going with ssds is no problem - 500GB of Raid1 is ok (or would a single SSD with data which is backed up each evening on another SSD (external?) better?

Syncing the files via Filezilla.

2) MS Office-suite which should be accessable from all devices in the house via "anydesk" (i know - there is a office-cloud solution, but i don t like the idea of a cloud which is not my own).

Does that make sense or not? I appreciate every advice. Would it make more sense just to create a virtual machine on one of my existing PCs with Win10?

if it's not a lot of data and you really want to keep it safe put it on the cloud. Encrypt it before you upload. 100gb of google drive is only a few bucks a month.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

19 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

if it's not a lot of data and you really want to keep it safe put it on the cloud. Encrypt it before you upload. 100gb of google drive is only a few bucks a month.

Sorry, but i prefer my "own" solution - i do not want to put my data into someone else's cloud.

46 minutes ago, cisto1999 said:

Sorry, but i prefer my "own" solution - i do not want to put my data into someone else's cloud.

That's fair. If you're going for you own solution you need redundancy, I suggest a raid 1 (2 drives mirrored to each other) remember this will half you usable storage or raid 1+0 but this requires a min of 4 drives.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

19 hours ago, cisto1999 said:

anydesk

Don't use that, use RDP, its built into windows.

19 hours ago, cisto1999 said:

500GB of Raid1 is ok (or would a single SSD with data which is backed up each evening on another SSD (external?) better?

No use for a ssd.

Id just get the main boot hdd, then sync it with something like free filesync every hour or two to anouther hdd.