Motherboard running at 106*C

I've just built my new system up last night, now going through the usual setup to get the system the way I like it. Decided to crank open HWMonitor and check out everything:

1) v1.1.9 locked up my system to the point where the reset button was called upon.
2) v1.2.4 is now showing me readings of 106*C on my motherboard?! CPU/RAM/HDDs etc all are normal temps, and I would have thought there would be some kind of safeguard if temps got too high...

My question is: Are these readings correct? Has anyone else noticed abnormally high temps for their boards?

PS - running Win8, specs in sig.

MAXIMUS VII HERO | i7 4770K w/ H100i | 2x8GB 1600MHz | GALAX GTX 970 x2
250GB SSD boot | 250GB x2, 1TB SSD storage | Corsair 400C | Corsair RM550

What case are you using? the case airflow is what keeps the motherboard cool unless your are liquid cooling or using a Thermal cover

Character artist in the Games industry.

What case are you using? the case airflow is what keeps the motherboard cool unless your are liquid cooling or using a Thermal cover

Bitfenix Prodigy, 1x120mm exhaust + 2x120mm intake

the prodigy isnt exactly an amazing airflow case, id touch up your cable management to see if it makes a difference, i get 30c on all my hardware cause i take allot of time with my cable management, and every build i do i make sure i spend = amount of time build the entire thing, and then spend the same amount on cable management. it makes all the difference in most builds

Character artist in the Games industry.

It is just sensor error, sometimes my MoBo runs at -110°c. (I know.... i live in Finland but still -110°c too much)

the prodigy isnt exactly an amazing airflow case, id touch up your cable management to see if it makes a difference, i get 30c on all my hardware cause i take allot of time with my cable management, and every build i do i make sure i spend = amount of time build the entire thing, and then spend the same amount on cable management. it makes all the difference in most builds

Thanks Pixxie_Payne, I will admit I slacked off once it hit 11pm, but I'm not going to say it's terrible. I will look into it further, even get some different fans in it.

It is just sensor error, sometimes my MoBo runs at -110°c. (I know.... i live in Finland but still -110°c too much)

I'm from Australia, so I don't expect it to be super-chilled but pushing past 100*C is a bit far for me too :P

However, I believe this is the issue, as I have tried a couple of different programs now which all have different readings to each other (one says 28* and the other says there's is no temperature)

Looks to be just a weird bug with the HWMonitor app?

Probably just a sensor error. Try using another program like SpeedFan and see if it has the same results.

I would try another monitor like HWInfo to see if it produces the same readings. If it does, I would RMA the board as it could be a sensor error. Do you have AI Suite 3 installed? If you do, I would close AI Suite 3 and end programs related to it and try again.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

touch it and see if its that hot

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

It is impossible that the board is running at 106C. It would have melted down completely :D What are the motherboard temp readings in the BIOS? Updating the BIOS itself is not a bad idea either. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Probably just a sensor error. Try updating the drivers directly from the manufactures website and if there is still a problem try getting the hold of a temp gun to see if the temperature actually is THAT hot.

If it actually runs at over a 100 degrees, send it back to the supplier!!!!  

Bitfenix Prodigy, 1x120mm exhaust + 2x120mm intake

Update bios, drivers, etc..if necessary. Per the Prodigy's fan specs, seems you aren't maximizing your fan potential for the case...try this if possible. Front: 200mm (intake) , Rear: 140mm (exhaust) , Top: 2x120mm (exhaust).  Should help out some..if the 200mm is not an option, go with a 140mm instead.  Hope everything works out... ;)

Case: Silverstone SG09B Motherboard: MSI Z10 Morter M-ATX CPU: I5-6600K  Ram: Corsair LP 2400 DD4 16GB GPU: MSI RX 480 Storage: Seagate HDD Baracuda 2TB x2, Crucial M200 500GB SSD X2 (Raid 0)PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold 1000W w/PP05E Kit

"When to say :blink: WTF :blink: ....$2K rig only used for Minesweeper and Internet Checkers marathons...."

Update bios, drivers, etc..if necessary. Per the Prodigy's fan specs, seems you aren't maximizing your fan potential for the case...try this if possible. Front: 200mm (intake) , Rear: 140mm (exhaust) , Top: 2x120mm (exhaust).  Should help out some..if the 200mm is not an option, go with a 140mm instead.  Hope everything works out... ;)

No, no, no. That would creative negative air pressure. Configure the frontmost roof fan (single 120mm) as an intake. (Buy a dust filter) Feel free to keep using the 2x120mm fans in the front as they produce better intake volume than a single 200mm. If you must use a fan larger than 120mm in the front, either use a Silverstone Air Penetrator 180mm or a BitFenix 230mm. The vast majority of 200mm fans are flimsy garbage. If you have room above the CPU cooler, another 120mm intake in that position is useful but not necessary. The back fan should be 140mm and exhaust.

With this configuration, air will be forced out passively through other holes in the case and prevent dust from settling (just make sure you filter every intake) and the bonus with this is that more air will wash over your graphics card.

If your motherboard temp is that high though, I suspect you are using a down draft CPU cooler, in which case, cut that shit out immediately :P Get a proper tower cooler that will direct the air towards the back. (A BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 is both very powerful and has room above it for a 120mm fan when put into a Prodigy.)

Though my money is on a sensor error.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

No, no, no. That would creative negative air pressure. Configure the frontmost roof fan (single 120mm) as an intake. (Buy a dust filter) Feel free to keep using the 2x120mm fans in the front as they produce better intake volume than a single 200mm. If you must use a fan larger than 120mm in the front, either use a Silverstone Air Penetrator 180mm or a BitFenix 230mm. The vast majority of 200mm fans are flimsy garbage. If you have room above the CPU cooler, another 120mm intake in that position is useful but not necessary. The back fan should be 140mm and exhaust.

With this configuration, air will be forced out passively through other holes in the case and prevent dust from settling (just make sure you filter every intake) and the bonus with this is that more air will wash over your graphics card.

If your motherboard temp is that high though, I suspect you are using a down draft CPU cooler, in which case, cut that shit out immediately :P Get a proper tower cooler that will direct the air towards the back. (A BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 is both very powerful and has room above it for a 120mm fan when put into a Prodigy.)

Though my money is on a sensor error.

Your right....too much exhaust vs. intake...drat.  Still...need to maximize airflow through case.  Yes, the 2x120mms would push more air but also more noise (if that is a concern for the OP) hence up sizing the fan size.. If the OP does not want 200, then go with 140s (again if noise factor is an issue)....using APs from Silverstone is a novel idea...great fans...

Case: Silverstone SG09B Motherboard: MSI Z10 Morter M-ATX CPU: I5-6600K  Ram: Corsair LP 2400 DD4 16GB GPU: MSI RX 480 Storage: Seagate HDD Baracuda 2TB x2, Crucial M200 500GB SSD X2 (Raid 0)PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold 1000W w/PP05E Kit

"When to say :blink: WTF :blink: ....$2K rig only used for Minesweeper and Internet Checkers marathons...."

Thanks for all the replies guys. I've been away for the weekend and my baby hasn't been used. I'll continue to look into it in the morning.

As for the fan setup; it's like that partially because they were the fans out of my old box (some of) and partially because I'll be getting a custom loop running on it soon, so fans aren't to important to me now, and I can't justify spending another $50~ on trying to maximise airflow if it's only going to gain me a few degrees.

Judging by the completely different readings from three programs (106*C, 28*C and N/A) I'm going to put it down to just a bit of glitching happening, however I'll look into some other programs mentioned above.

Also, no AI suite is running - I don't really like installing any other ASUS stuff on the board other than the drivers.

My guess would be a faulty temperature sensor.

If not, get some bacon and eggs and make breakfast.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.