Monitor question for a 1080

TR1ALZ

Hi,

I have purchased a MSI Gaming 1080. 

I was going to upgrade my monitor now that I can finally drive something more than 1080p @ 60fps. After installing the card, and running Battlefield 1 @ ultra, i was hovering around 70-80fps. My question is, given that I am not driving much above 60 fps, will a higher hz monitor matter, and will increasing my resolution to 1440p actually put me back into 60 fps territory? 

I am running a i7 4970k (stock at 4.0ghz) but that doesn't seem to be a bottleneck at all.

Happy to hear any thoughts, comments and suggestions.

Thanks! 

1 minute ago, TR1ALZ said:

Hi,

I have purchased a MSI Gaming 1080. 

I was going to upgrade my monitor now that I can finally drive something more than 1080p @ 60fps. After installing the card, and running Battlefield 1 @ ultra, i was hovering around 70-80fps. My question is, given that I am not driving much above 60 fps, will a higher hz monitor matter, and will increasing my resolution to 1440p actually put me back into 60 fps territory? 

I am running a i7 4970k (stock at 4.0ghz) but that doesn't seem to be a bottleneck at all.

Happy to hear any thoughts, comments and suggestions.

Thanks! 

My 1060 gets around 90FPS in BF1 so chances are you resolution scale is greater than 100% in the settings. It's likely 150 or 200%. Check that setting and get back to us.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Are you having problems with screen tearing? You can set your resoultion higher than your current monitor's specs to test if your framerate at other resolutions.

3 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

My 1060 gets around 90FPS in BF1 so chances are you resolution scale is greater than 100% in the settings. It's likely 150 or 200%. Check that setting and get back to us.

Thanks, I will give this is a look at tonight. 

You should be getting much higher frames in bf1. About 150frames at 1080p Ultra. And about 100 or so in 1440p Ultra. Your primary concern should be why you are getting extremely low frames with a gtx 1080. But if you get it work, then it is worth it to get a 100hz 1440p monitor

3 minutes ago, ShadySocks said:

Are you having problems with screen tearing? You can set your resoultion higher than your current monitor's specs to test if your framerate at other resolutions.

There was no screen tearing at all. I will give other resolutions a crack. It was just native

1 minute ago, SCGazelle said:

You should be getting much higher frames in bf1. About 150frames at 1080p Ultra. And about 100 or so in 1440p Ultra. Your primary concern should be why you are getting extremely low frames with a gtx 1080. But if you get it work, then it is worth it to get a 100hz 1440p monitor

I thought as much too. I was expecting much higher FPS. 

20 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Is this in the gforce experience settings? 

3 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

No, in game settings

Thanks!