Decent camera for a beginner

Hey everyone,

I've always been quite interested in photography. And I always told myself I need to start doing it myself once. Now I'm going to South-Africa this summer. It seems like the perfect time to start to me. I'm sure I can make some great photo's over there :D. But ofcourse, I need a camera. My budget is around 300 euro max. Can you guys recommend me a decent camera and maybe tell me some basics. I'm quite new in this department.

Thanks in advance.

I would ask what photos do you wanna take?

For good ole everyday photos, I would grab a Canon EOS 1300D

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-rebel-t6-1300d-review

You should be able to find one with 18-55mm lens for around your budget.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just now, Energycore said:

I would ask what photos do you wanna take?

For good ole everyday photos, I would grab a Canon EOS 1300D

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-rebel-t6-1300d-review

You should be able to find one with 18-55mm lens for around your budget.

Thanks for your recommendation. I think it would be mainly nature photos. But then again I can also see myself make a nice picture downtown. With high contrasts. 

Just now, Tristanus said:

Thanks for your recommendation. I think it would be mainly nature photos. But then again I can also see myself make a nice picture downtown. With high contrasts. 

Don'tr trust me fully on this recommendation, I'm nowhere near knowledgeable enough, but the review should help you find out whether your needs will be fulfilled by this camera.

If you need a bit of zoom, grab a 55-250mm lens as well if you can.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Don'tr trust me fully on this recommendation, I'm nowhere near knowledgeable enough, but the review should help you find out whether your needs will be fulfilled by this camera.

If you need a bit of zoom, grab a 55-250mm lens as well if you can.

You know way more then me haha. So thanks! Appreciate you trying to help me!

2 hours ago, Tristanus said:

Hey everyone,

I've always been quite interested in photography. And I always told myself I need to start doing it myself once. Now I'm going to South-Africa this summer. It seems like the perfect time to start to me. I'm sure I can make some great photo's over there :D. But ofcourse, I need a camera. My budget is around 300 euro max. Can you guys recommend me a decent camera and maybe tell me some basics. I'm quite new in this department.

Thanks in advance.

Go to a store or wherever you plan to buy the camera from, look at cameras that fall into your budget range, pick one you like.  Almost any camera is good enough for a beginner.

After you get the camera, read the manual so you understand what all the buttons on the camera and settings in the menu do.  Take a few snapshots, look at the photos on your computer, do some research online to get an understanding of what you may be doing wrong.  Study, learn, practice, experiment, think.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

14 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Go to a store or wherever you plan to buy the camera from, look at cameras that fall into your budget range, pick one you like.  Almost any camera is good enough for a beginner.

After you get the camera, read the manual so you understand what all the buttons on the camera and settings in the menu do.  Take a few snapshots, look at the photos on your computer, do some research online to get an understanding of what you may be doing wrong.  Study, learn, practice, experiment, think.

Thank you very much!

Make sure there is a setting where you can set your own ISO shutter speed and aperture, in case its not a DSLR or mirrorless, aperture can't be controlled. 

If the assistant has no idea what you are on about, ask for the help of someone more experienced.

I have seen first hand assistants recommending crap cameras that were left over to people who don't know what they are looking for, while a pretty nice DSLR was at a very similar, if not lower price point. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

21 hours ago, cc143 said:

Make sure there is a setting where you can set your own ISO shutter speed and aperture, in case its not a DSLR or mirrorless, aperture can't be controlled. 

If the assistant has no idea what you are on about, ask for the help of someone more experienced.

I have seen first hand assistants recommending crap cameras that were left over to people who don't know what they are looking for, while a pretty nice DSLR was at a very similar, if not lower price point. 

Thanks man!