Which is the fastest connection possible available to me

FireCharge

***ACCIDENTALLY POSTED, EDITING ATM***

So I have a pretty serious issue at the moment because my brother is killing me. He keeps complaining about his network speeds and that they're terrible (which is true) but I can't figure out the best solution, so here's what I've gathered.

At the moment, this is what we have: A main modem/router (Netgear Wireless N600, via vDSL) hooked up to a home plug that connects to my brother's PC.

Tested internet speeds:

At my PC connected directly to the router (tested right now) - 54.5Mb down 3.2 up

At his PC, connected via the home plug (last tested about a month ago) - 1.5Mb down 1 up. Though it seems something happened to his Ethernet port recently or something likewise, as I can only get 0.2Mb down which is atrocious.

At his PC, via WiFi through a repeater (TPLink TL-850RE 300Mbps) and a usb receiver (levelone WUA-0605, I think it's v1 150Mbps) - 12.5Mb down, 2.8Mb up.

Question is - as I'm terrible with networking; 

How do we increase his internet speeds without a wired connection?

Getting a new, higher bandwidth receiver would cost about 30$, but I doubt it'll increase download speeds by that much. (Thought of the TP-Link Archer T2UH 600Mbps)

However, what if we decided to get an extra modem, connect it via vDSL as well, and then connecting that to my brother's PC. It would cost double, but could possibly bring him up to par with out speeds. (For example a Kasda KW52285 300Mbps at 65$, as a new N600 would cost about 115$ locally)

Would something like that work? Would getting a new receiver improve internet speeds by a noticeable margin?

Why is he complaining about 50mb/ps??? That's more than you need unless you download a shit ton of files. Your upload is what you should be looking at if he streams or uploads YT vids idk

The dream:

Spoiler

Project Malachite (in progress):

CPU: i7 7700k. CPU Cooler: Cryorig A40 Ultimate. Mobo: ASUS Z270-A. RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4. SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB. HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB. GPU: ASUS Strix 1070. PSU: Corsair CX550M. Case: Phanteks Eclipse p400S

The reality:

Spoiler

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2016, Logitech G502, Turtle Beach 500p. Monitor: LG 24GM77-B 144Hz 1MS TN. 

better speeds than me

http://prntscr.com/djrbim

My Rigs

Main Rig

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Asus Z170-A 
                                                                                                        Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000

Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

GeForce GTX 1070 Video Card (purchasing soon might be getting G1 or gaming x)

NZXT S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case

EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

37 minutes ago, HeavyFtw said:

better speeds than me

http://prntscr.com/djrbim

43 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Connection seems fine for your PC. I guess the home wiring is not so good for powerline.

If he can't hook up with Ethernet, no choice but to settle on wifi.

1 hour ago, JCBiggs said:

didint you see that he is still editing!!! hold tf on!!! lol

1 hour ago, MValuableP said:

Why is he complaining about 50mb/ps??? That's more than you need unless you download a shit ton of files. Your upload is what you should be looking at if he streams or uploads YT vids idk

Done editing :)
Thanks for the fast replies BTW.

@huilun02 I have a receiver to test with, but unfortunately it's not mine and I'm going to need to return it soon... Plus it's not the best out there.
So what do you guys think?

put another wife node in and run a line to it from your router.  problem solved.

those house plugs are pretty bad. ive never found a good one outside of commericial grade ones used for cameras. 

(just saw you said no wires...Id find a way to run a wire.)

9 minutes ago, JCBiggs said:

put another wife node in and run a line to it from your router.  problem solved.

those house plugs are pretty bad. ive never found a good one outside of commericial grade ones used for cameras. 

(just saw you said no wires...Id find a way to run a wire.)

Can't run a wire. Can't run them just like that because doors and such. Can't run them through walls because it is hella expensive. Can't run it on the outside, same reason as before and I don't have the time to do it myself.
Wifi is the answer. Or a router, if it could work that way.

The older HomePlug devices are prone to issues when devices with a motors (washing machines, drills, hoovers etc) are attached to the power in the house.  Interference potentially caused by other electrical devices in the house can be a likely the reason the HomePlug connection is poor.  The HomePlug devices should have a visible indicator on them for the speed they are running between each other.

Another potential which has happened to me personally is your neighbor now has some HomePlugs and you are getting interference due to the manner your buildings electrical wiring has been done.  I was in a house that was built in 1920 and had no major electrical work in that time, soon as my neighbor got some HomePlugs we had problems with cross over between.

Find the manufacturer of the HomePlug and update the firmware on them to the latest version, also reset their private network name to something that is not the 'default' and retry the connectivity for your brother. 

Obviously this could simply be your brother has something installed on his PC which is nuking his speeds.  You can verify this by simply plugging in a laptop in to his HomePlug port and seeing if its terribad for you on the laptop also.  If it is then I would be looking at suspect HomePlug devices.

*Edit*
Make sure you are not using HomePlugs while connected to surge protectors or multi-adapter plugs.  They cause serious throughput problems for HomePlug devices.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply