Dead thread

Hayabusa1989

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

I was under the impression the older WatchGuard devices had PPPoA support along side PPPoE, if they have dropped support that's a little shitty as we still have ISP's that rely on PPPoA at least here in the UK.

You can use the modem to perform the PPPoA connection and route traffic 1:1 to a WatchGuard device IP but this goes in to the 'double NAT' scenario which is best avoided as the firewall would have an Internal IP (ideally one on a different range to your local subnet).  This would depend entirely on the capability of the PPPoA modem to have this in the configuration, I know the HG612 from Huawei/BT which is a adsl/adsl2/vdsl capable modem can do this with a custom firmware.  I do something similar using pfSense instead of WatchGuard.

It would look a little something like this (crude example)

ISP > PPPoA Modem (External IP) > 1:1 NAT > WatchGuard (Internal IP) > Internal Subnet (Alternate Internal IP subnet(s)/range(s)

This can certainly be done and it would forward all traffic from the external IP via 1:1 NAT'ing to the internal IP of the WatchGuard device.  How the WG device handles this would depend on your requirements as terminating VPN's directly on the WG may be a problem.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

Just curious, what makes them think the Watchguard T10-D is so good as to not want to replace it with a more feature compliant device for your ISP?

Other than that I don't really have much to add compared to the last time we talked about this, still don't see what's wrong with using a Vigor 120 or a Cisco SMB router in bridge mode or route mode and not doing NAT on the firewall.

Maybe @Wombo can come up with something, doesn't look like he's logged in since Sept 13 but maybe he'll show up.

Edit: Also T10-D is supposed to be the DSL variant, shouldn't this natively support PPPoA?

Firebox T10-D supports all VDSL2 profiles (8a, 8b, 8c, 8d, 12a, 12b, 17a, 30a) and all ADSL standards (ADSL1/2/2+).

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

Also a massive thank you to you both especially @leadeater who has now helped me with this issue twice !

Chicken Nuggets

Chicken Nuggets