PS2 Case Build

RustyRotary

i am currently working on building a PC inside the casing of a PlayStation 2 and i don't exactly know how to power it, i cant fit a power supply in it because i want it to look just like a PS2 and i dont want to have to have a regular ATX/SFX PSU hanging out of the back. it has a core 2 quad Q9550 4GB of ddr2 800 and a gtx 550 ti (all salvaged form a previous build) so I would very much appreciate any suggestions on how to power it, thanks.

nevermind look 
|

|

5 minutes ago, RustyRotary said:

i am currently working on building a PC inside the casing of a PlayStation 2 and i don't exactly know how to power it, i cant fit a power supply in it because i want it to look just like a PS2 and i dont want to have to have a regular ATX/SFX PSU hanging out of the back. it has a core 2 quad Q9550 4GB of ddr2 800 and a gtx 550 ti (all salvaged form a previous build) so I would very much appreciate any suggestions on how to power it, thanks.

pico psu.

picopsu-160-xt-acdc-components.jpg

1 minute ago, lolimpol said:

pico psu.

yes but the problem with that is power, the pico's can only really reach about 200 watts and that is probably not enough for the 550 ti

2 minutes ago, lolimpol said:

pico psu.

on top of needing a six pin

1 minute ago, RustyRotary said:

on top of needing a six pin

2 minutes ago, RustyRotary said:

yes but the problem with that is power, the pico's can only really reach about 200 watts and that is probably not enough for the 550 ti

hhm i guess two of em'?

4 minutes ago, lolimpol said:

hhm i guess two of em'?

do they make ones with six pins on them ?

1 minute ago, RustyRotary said:

do they make ones with six pins on them ?

you can split off of molex

7 minutes ago, lolimpol said:

hhm i guess two of em'?

i guess i cou

ld always just buy that low profile 1050 ti from msi though right and that would solve it but then again im trying to spend as litlle as possible

I am finishing up a build in a PS2 also, haven't made a log or anything yet, but if you are careful with power you have some options.  I'm using a g3258 for the processor and a 750ti, a 150W Pico is more than enough even with overclocks.  The biggest problem I'm having is cooling in the tiny case.  Looking forward to see how you cool the little devil.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2016 at 8:25 AM, Arkratos said:

Took me a while to find it but here is the other power supply I was thinking you might want: http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-250W-Hi-Fi-DC-ATX-Power-Supply-16V-24V-Wide-Range-Voltage-Input.html
250 watts of tiny goodness, not nearly as small as a pico but you can probably squeeze it in if you have a low profile gpu.

wow thanks and im asuming I would buy a 24 6 and 4 pin or do those come with it

Let me know how it turns out. I think this is a great idea. I didn't even know that the PS2 case would even be big enough. Good luck. Hope it works out for you.

"You think your Commodore 64 is really neato! What kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?" -Weird Al Yankovic, All about the pentiums

PC 1(Lenovo S400 laptop): 

CPU: i3-3217u

SSD: 120gb Super Cache mSATA SSD

HDD: Random seagate 5400rpm 500gb HDD

RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR3-SODIMM

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

CPU: i5-4260u

HDD: 5400rpm 500gb

RAM: 4gb DDR3 (soldered on :( )

16 hours ago, RustyRotary said:

wow thanks and im asuming I would buy a 24 6 and 4 pin or do those come with it

Honestly I'm not sure, I haven't used that power supply personally but I was contemplating using it before I went with a 150w Pico.  I've seen other builds with it, probably the most well known is the NES build that went around a good while ago.